You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Index find - wrong word

thetasig

A little weirdness. I indexed the word "Generator" and then went to the View/Studio/Index Topic item and performed a "Find In Document" - this is what it brought back - another word that is similar to the word "Generator" but NOT the same word at all. It brought back the word "General" and offered to index those entries under the topic "Generator"

As Data said once about how to pronounce his name - "one is my name, the other is not"

Screen Shot 2019-09-09 at 2.58.58 PM.png

It's probably trying to find similar words so you could index, for example, generator, generators, generating, etc. 

But "general" may be going a bit far :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

If it is truly intentional that it is trying to find similar words, then it may be hard to write software that can tell the difference between words that are related (in the same family) and those that are wholly unrelated but simply have a significant portion that happens to match.

Here, generator and general share the same genera- beginning, differing only in the endings -l versus -tor. Unless the software is actually able to understand suffixes, then I think this is about as close as it could get in identifying similar words. Without understanding language, it can’t know that genera- with the suffixes -ted, -ting, -te, are in the same family, but genera- with the suffixes -l, -lly, -lize, are not. If you tried to define which suffixes are similar, it would fail to find genuinely similar words in other cases.

I think that trying to parse the words for meaning across multiple language is asking too much for this kind of software.

My suggestion is instead to provide a checkbox in the Index Topic studio to optionally include similar words in the search results, so that the user can either find exactly the string as searched or include similar strings that may or may not include false positives.

10 minutes ago, garrettm30 said:

My suggestion is instead to provide a checkbox in the Index Topic studio to optionally include similar words in the search results, so that the user can either find exactly the string as searched or include similar strings that may or may not include false positives.

Or, possibly, to let the user provide the stemming suggestion. E.g., allow an index search for "generat*" or "generat.*" if the user wants the behavior.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

Or, possibly, to let the user provide the stemming suggestion. E.g., allow an index search for "generat*" or "generat.*" if the user wants the behavior.

That is not a bad suggestion, but I think it is one more thing that has to be discovered in a manual or video. If we could suggest something that is intuitively apparent, that would be better.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks all. @garrettm30, I like your thoughts on the difficulty of the software to deal with similar words - and it could be prefixes that are involved as well as suffixes. I think, perhaps, no change needs to be made. The choices are displayed, the user chooses which words to index and omits the ones that are not indexed under the Topic. It's very straightforward even if sometimes surprising. Thanks again.