You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A_B_C

Yes that is what is meant by "Managed".  In a "referenced" library the Aperture library points to the images that are filed in a location outside of Aperture.

It was becoming clear that the cause (or one of the causes or perhaps the main cause) of the problem for me was that over the years I have moved the Apertures libraries around a lot as they grew, and it seems to do something that interferes with the way that MB opens them.  For example, creating a new Aperture library in the same partition as AP and OS X by importing an existing one results in the library name appearing in MB but it won't open.  However if I delete that library, create a new one with the same name in the same location, and populate it by importing photos from a folder that is not associated with Aperture, then it is visible and opens in MB - but that is not a realistic way to deal with approx 75GB of images.

Generally, it appears that the conventional wisdom is that managed libraries are preferred to referenced ones, but in this case it is a much easier way to keep my Aperture library structure, be able to use AP (Develop and Photo personas) for editing, and not have to have the same image duplicated in different locations.

Retina iMac (4K display, 1TB SSD, 16GB RAM) OS X 10.11.6  Capture One 10.

This is becoming like climbing out of the proverbial well - 2 steps forward then 1 back.

Today I downloaded images from a new photo shoot.  And yes, the NEFs are there in the target Aperture folder.  But they show as 8 bit JPEGs in MB and when I edit and save in AP, they vanish ...  Can't find the edits anywhere and the original is unchanged in the parent folder.

:(

PS:  Yes, I know it can be done after the editing is completed by File > Share > Add to Aperture, but there were more that 100 images in this shoot and that takes far too much time to complete (but does work).

Important Information

Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Guidelines | We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.