You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Blur brush tool in Photo is not working

The blur brush tool is behaving strangely. The selection circle is displayed and is normal when I move it over the image. When I click to work with it a checkered background appears within the circle. It also does not work. The same applies to sharpen and gaussian blur brush tools but strangely not smudge which works as normal. Does this mean a re-install?

A checkered background would suggest transparency.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

So, to help further with resolving the issue, how about giving us some information to work with? For example, screenshots (including the photo and the Layers panel), or ideally a .afphoto file that we can look at?

Also, what OS do you use, and what version of Photo?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Riverpiper said:

Attached is an example image with the 'offending' circle showing a transparency background. I'm using Photo version 1.7.4 with OS 10.14.6. Strange that this problem does not occur on the smudge brush tool.

Could you post a concurrent screenshot of the colo(u)r tab configuration?

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

6 hours ago, PixelPest said:

May I ask where you got AP 1.7.4 from?

Fast Ring? :-) 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

1.7.4 = Typo

Click on the more button this could have something to do with the brush settings more than the blur tool.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi Riverpiper :)

Sorry to see you're having trouble! Could you please open Affinity Photo > Performance > Preferences and provide a screenshot of your settings here?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Thank you for that, and can you confirm is the issue only happening with the Preview of the blur tool?

14 hours ago, Riverpiper said:

When I click to work with it a checkered background appears within the circle. It also does not work.

I'm a little unsure due to the above sentence, however your second screenshot shows no transparent circle, so I suspect this is a current known issue which occurs when using Metal Compute. Could you please try unticking Enable Hardware Acceleration  in your settings, restarting the app when prompted and try using these tools again?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

Glad to hear it, many thanks for letting me know!

This is a bug our development team are aware of and we're working to fix this ASAP.

Metal Compute is an architecture created by Apple to allow apps to utilise the Graphics Card in a Mac to provide the best performance possible, you can find out more about this here - https://developer.apple.com/metal/

As our implementation of Metal and Hardware Acceleration is still relatively new to us, this can occasionally cause rendering issues, such as the transparent preview of your Blur tool - I hope this clears things up :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi drmajorbob :)

Sorry to hear this, could you please provide a screenshot of Affinity Photo with the Blur Brush tool selected?

Please note -

Many thanks!

I have also found that the blur tool does not work. I have tried changing the settings for the brush--one poster suggested moving the "hardness" and "flow" sliders back and forth to get Affinity Photo "unstuck"--and toggling the lock next to the "(pixel)" line for the layer. However, even though the layer is set to pixel, I still can't get the blur tool to work no matter what. I've had to just use the rectangular selection tool and then blur the selection with a filter, but this is kludgy and not what I paid for this software to do. 

I am running Affinity Photo 1.7.3 on a Mac running Mojave. I recall that older versions of Affinity Photo seemed to have a blur tool that worked for me.

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 3.15.34 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-12-16 at 3.15.42 PM.png

For me work fine.
image.png.1816d2dd55d1574fae16aaa3ada07d80.png

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• Staff

Hi Scotchtape,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
We are aware of a few issues with the Blur Tool on macOS. Do you mind replying a few questions please?
1. Does the brush cursor displays as an empty/transparent circle after you lay down the first stroke as shown in the screenshot in the 4th post of this thread?
2. if you perform multiples passes (click and drag several times) on the same area does it start getting blurry (move the slider in the History panel back and forward to check if there was changes). It's possible the brush is actually working but the output is quite subtle and only visible after multiple passes (even with Opacity, Flow and Hardness set to 100% in the context toolbar for the Blur Brush Tool) - can you confirm this please?

Note: It should work correctly for you if you disable/untick Metal Compute acceleration in Affinity Photo Preferences, Performance section (on bottom of the panel - you will have to restart Affinity Photo for the new setting take effect).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/10/2019 at 6:14 AM, Dan C said:

Glad to hear it, many thanks for letting me know!

This is a bug our development team are aware of and we're working to fix this ASAP.

Metal Compute is an architecture created by Apple to allow apps to utilise the Graphics Card in a Mac to provide the best performance possible, you can find out more about this here - https://developer.apple.com/metal/

As our implementation of Metal and Hardware Acceleration is still relatively new to us, this can occasionally cause rendering issues, such as the transparent preview of your Blur tool - I hope this clears things up :)

Affinity Photo 1.8.2 same issue resolved by disabling that hardware acceleration.

• 2 months later...
  • Staff

Hi jamesKRK,
Welcome to Affinity Forums :)
Thanks for your feedback. What's the size of the image you are working with (px)? If you disable/untick Enable Metal compute acceleration in Affinity Photo Preferences, Performance section does it work as expected for you (clearly visible blur)?