You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Discoloured back ground in text frame

PC - Publisher 1.7.2.471

It started last week with a png but now a text frame. This is a stripped down DVD sleeve When previewed the project looks fine but when printed the backgound behind the middle text frame is discoloured.If I switch the shadow off all is good. On the "proper" document it's screwed in odd places, like the spine and DVD logo. Test project attached.

MORE INFO. i dont want to shout BUG. I see that too often on my Video editing forum , when it is blatant user error.

HOWEVER I exported the "proper" document to psd. I imported the psd into Photoshop CS3 and it printed fine. In Publisher the same psd when printed is screwed with darkened backgrounds on the text frames. If I'm doing something wrong please tell me else I will shout BUG. Printer is Brother HL-L8260CDW but its the same on my older HP.

WTF.afpub

Edited by DavidDoesAffinity
More info added

How is it discoloured, do you have a scan or photo of the effect?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Hi David :)

Unfortunately as the background is a Linked image I'm 'missing' this resource when opening your file, meaning I can't export it with the background in tact.

Could you please upload a copy of the .bmp in use?

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Looks like an issue of combining transparency + flattening + mixed color spaces.

This is a good example why I do prefer to print only from an exported PDF. For PDF you have more options to influence quality + more "wysiwyg" before print.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

• Staff

Thanks for that David :)

4 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Looks like an issue of combining transparency + flattening + mixed color spaces.

thomaso is correct, the issue is arising with transparency when rasterising the document to print.

Please open the Print dialogue, then under the Rasterization tab please tick Clip Transparency then try printing your document again. You should find this issue resolved!

image.png

This is occurring due to fx being applied to the text object. As this has to be rasterised when printing, the transparent area around the text is also rasterised, but isn't automatically clipped correctly to the image behind it - setting this option when printing should fix this for you :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Thank You for your assistance. On the "proper" document it only partially worked. Even the DVD logo a png with alpha has the grey box as well as another area. Worse I made a 300dpi print pdf - that refused to print from Acrobat. It froze flattening at 43%. However printing document from Publisher, ticking the rasterize entire page, does seem to work.

Have to go into London for meeeting so will continue this afternoon.

When you get back Turn the background image off so you have the checkerboard and try using the colour picker to see if you get 100% transparency around the PNG logo. 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

• Staff

Could you please provide a copy of your document and any Linked images to the following link so I can test this further here? This file will not be shared publicly :) 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/ekqlZjyepcu5JfUsEFzl

Please note -

Many thanks!

7 hours ago, firstdefence said:

When you get back Turn the background image off so you have the checkerboard and try using the colour picker to see if you get 100% transparency around the PNG logo. 

Yes. I'm used to working with alpha channels, so could eaily check the logo and switch off the BG. I'm not sure there isnt some sort of corruption. I deleted the file and then replaced it and it seems OK again.

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Could you please provide a copy of your document and any Linked images to the following link so I can test this further here? This file will not be shared publicly :) 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/ekqlZjyepcu5JfUsEFzl

Thanks Dan have uploaded. My intention is to possibly add show pics to the front. It's a tough one due to the number of pieces in the show and the dedication.

I may well be doing something very wrong but I have been using an old version of Quark on my XP PC until I switched to the Publisher beta and never encountered any problem  ( on Win 7 Pro) The pdf hangs printing from Acrobat and from Affinity Pub or Photo is screwed. Photoshop rasterises the import and is OK.

• Staff

Thanks for your file. Firstly I right clicked the DVD logo in the layers panel and rasterised this, then did the same with background image.

I replaced the 2 empty picture frames on the 'back' of the DVD case and replaced these with filled rectangles.

I left the title with fx layer as is, then went to File>Print and ticked Clip Transparency.

The file printed within seconds and as far as I can see on our end there is no strange colours or borders on any object where there shouldn't be.

I have uploaded this file to our Dropbox and shared it directly to the email address linked to your Forum account. I hope this helps! :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

Many Thanks Dan for your continued help. I can see and understand the changes made and then tried as you suggested printing with Clip Transparency ticked. All was good except the bottom grey text box on the "back", where the grey was shaded to the right hand side of the box.

I then reprinted ticking rasterise entire page, and all was well. If I was my client I would say I was a PIA!!

• Staff

No problem at all!

18 hours ago, DavidDoesAffinity said:

All was good except the bottom grey text box on the "back", where the grey was shaded to the right hand side of the box.

I believe the cause of this is the above text frame - I'm not certain why but this text has a 100pt Stroke applied to the text, at 0% opacity. If you change this to 100% opacity you can see the 'bleed' of this - which is what you're seeing when printing:

Please try removing this stroke, as seen in my above screen recording, and try printing again using Clip Transparency :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

• Staff

No problem at all, happy to help! :)

21 hours ago, DavidDoesAffinity said:

If I ticked rasterise all it worked fine, so why not just keep that ticked?

There's no reason AFAIK not to, I believe it's down to personal preference!

Please note -

Many thanks!