You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer: Exporting vectors with gradients give mixed results..

Hi!

I have actually tried to stop using Adobe for good. Being an ex-tobacco lover I gave it a "cold turkey" cure by just uninstalling and quiting my Adobe subscriptions.

Mostly it has been a great journey and also good for my creativity since obviously new tools forces you to think outside of usual paths of designing.

However: I have some issues exporting my work as it gives mixed results:

1. PDFs usually struggle with gradients where the PDF keeps textual work as vector but converts my "gradient vectors as bitmap" (which is a no go if I make for example a logo)

2. SVGs are "better" but here I see that the curvature of for example a "water drop" (regular shape selected in Affinity Designer) are converted in a way that the "curves" are no longer "smooth"

This leaves me to use EPS which seems to be useless in results..

Any tip for me on how to achieve a full vector export? Worst case I will have to just go for a large DPI for prints but I really would prefer to be able to get good vector exports in PDF. Illustrator and other tools did this fine (as I recall)..

Thanks!

Turning off Rasterise unsupported effects will ensure vectors, but may not result in WYSIWYG. It simply won't bother outputting properties that the export format cannot represent. So for example, if you have a fill colour with noise, it will be exported without the noise. If you have layer opacity on a group, the opacity will probably be lost. If you have a conical fill, it'll probably go out as a solid colour.

If you post an example we can take a look at what is causing the rasterisation. It isn't only layer effects.

• 1 year later...

I thought there was a way to get gradients to be purely vector, but I'm trying to export (as .pdf) a conical gradient and it's telling me that some areas will be rasterised, which unfortunately is not possible for my project.

The only way to (mostly) preserve gradients as pure vectors is to generate a separate vector shape for each color in the gradient everywhere that it appears. It still will look "banded" (each transition from one color to the next will be visible) under careful observation, particularly if the document uses an 8 bit color color space. Since this can create millions of individual vector shapes, it is not very practical if reasonable file sizes are important.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

I thought there was a way to get gradients to be purely vector, but I'm trying to export (as .pdf) a conical gradient and it's telling me that some areas will be rasterised, which unfortunately is not possible for my project.

The PDF specification does not support conical gradients directly, I'm afraid.

• 1 month later...