You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Colors are more saturated in Affinity than in Photoshop

ICC profile in OS? 

Affinity Store (MSI/EXE): Affinity Suite (ADe, APh, APu) 2.4.0.2301
Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

Also please confirm what OS you're using, and show us the OS color setting for your monitor.

Also: Neither of those screenshots look, to me, like they're from Affinity applications, at least not on Mac or Windows. Am I confused?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

First: Why don’t you give us the file? Doesn’t seem to be that secret …

Second: You write „I am using Mac OS my monitor color settings are sRGB IEC61966 2.1 this is also my color profile for Photoshop and Affinity“. This is a complete wrong workflow! Never use sRGB image profile as a monitor profile! In a different thread I wrote:

• Make sure, that your monitor is set up/calibrated correctly (Attention: Many screens can’t be calibrated, but you can adjust colors, gamma, brightness, …). Apple has a quite effective tool for that in its „Monitors“ preferences panel).
  • Use your monitor profile for your individual screen (don’t simply use sRGB, because your monitor profile describes the individual deviations from sRGB).
  • If working with RGB images make sure, that they use the sRGB profile (AdobeRGB has a wider color spectrum, but this „plus" doesn’t make its way to print output). Don’t use your monitor profile for images!
  • If working with CMYK images, make sure that they use the same color profile as your final print output does (to avoid CMYK to CMYK conversion)
  • Use the CMYK profile, which your print provider recommends for your Publisher document and force Publisher’s output routines to convert the images into the recommended CMYK profile. (The last step isn’t really necessary, but recommended – especially, if the creator of the document isn’t definitely sure about what he is doing.)

More can’t be said, until we don’t have the source files (Affinity document, original image)

2 hours ago, mac_heibu said:

Use your monitor profile for your individual screen (don’t simply use sRGB, because your monitor profile describes the individual deviations from sRGB).

While that should be true, it is a common recommendation from Serif staff in these forums to remove any custom ICC profile from the monitor settings and replace with sRGB to fix display color issues when using the Affinity applications.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

i read this comment from an Affinity team member too, Walt, but I didn‘t comment it, because I think it is normal, that nobody knows everything.

But definitely: A monitor profile contains all deviations of your specific monitor from „standard“ RGB. Deleting or not using this profile means that colors can‘t be displayed correctly on your monitor.

Dell OptiPlex 7060, i5-8500 3.00 GHz, 16 GB, Intel UHD Graphics 630, Dell P2417H 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Dell Latitude E5570, i5-6440HQ 2.60 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics 530, 1920 x 1080, Windows 11 Pro, Version 23H2, Build 22631.3155.
Intel NUC5PGYH, Pentium N3700 2.40 GHz, 8 GB, Intel HD Graphics, EIZO EV2456 1920 x 1200, Windows 10 Pro, Version 21H1, Build 19043.2130.

• 11 months later...
On 9/12/2019 at 10:50 AM, mac_heibu said:

First: Why don’t you give us the file? Doesn’t seem to be that secret …

Second: You write „I am using Mac OS my monitor color settings are sRGB IEC61966 2.1 this is also my color profile for Photoshop and Affinity“. This is a complete wrong workflow! Never use sRGB image profile as a monitor profile! In a different thread I wrote:

• Make sure, that your monitor is set up/calibrated correctly (Attention: Many screens can’t be calibrated, but you can adjust colors, gamma, brightness, …). Apple has a quite effective tool for that in its „Monitors“ preferences panel).
  • Use your monitor profile for your individual screen (don’t simply use sRGB, because your monitor profile describes the individual deviations from sRGB).
  • If working with RGB images make sure, that they use the sRGB profile (AdobeRGB has a wider color spectrum, but this „plus" doesn’t make its way to print output). Don’t use your monitor profile for images!
  • If working with CMYK images, make sure that they use the same color profile as your final print output does (to avoid CMYK to CMYK conversion)
  • Use the CMYK profile, which your print provider recommends for your Publisher document and force Publisher’s output routines to convert the images into the recommended CMYK profile. (The last step isn’t really necessary, but recommended – especially, if the creator of the document isn’t definitely sure about what he is doing.)

More can’t be said, until we don’t have the source files (Affinity document, original image)

I was trying to solve some issues with my edits looking as they have lower precision than my preview in Affinity Photo (version 1.8) when I export them in JPEG (8 bit RGB) or PNG (16 bit RGB) and I read your comments and links to better understand ICC profiles and Display calibration. 

From my understanding the only ICC profile that must be custom in a hobbyist's colour management workflow is the Display ICC which converts from stored rgb values to your display's rgb values taking into account its deviations from standard sRGB or wider colour gamut standards such as ProPhoto, AdobeRGB, etc. Besides that every other ICC profile should be the same, this means that the:

• Affinity Photo (Edit->Preferences->Colour->(32bit) RGB Colour Profile = sRGB IEC61966-2.1)
  • Affinity Photo Document (Document -> Convert format/ICC profile -> Format = RGB/16, Profile = sRGB IEC61966-2.1)
  • export ICC (File->Export->More->ICC Profile =  sRGB IEC61966-2.1, Embed ICC Profile ticked)

Now, my problem is that when I edit my photo in AP the preview shows nice gradations between the black and gray on the laps, but when I export either in JPEG (8 bit RGB) or PNG (16 bit RGB) and I preview using the old Widows Photo Viewer (which I knew it is coloor managed) the gradations dissapear totally and I get this weird pixelated transitions between two shades of gray. 

Even more weird, is that if I open the JPEG and PNG file in AP, I they look identical to the preview of the AP document.

Could you please let me know what am I doing wrong? Am I preview-ing the images with the wrong software? 

P.S.

I am a total beginner to AP but I am engineer at heart :))

DSCF2205.jpg

DSCF2205.png

DSCF2205.afphoto

15 hours ago, Daniel Tudosiu said:

Widows Photo Viewer (which I knew it is coloor managed)

Are you sure? So I would doubt a bit - the correct and consistent use of ICC profiles is not exactly a common feature of "previewing" applications.

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=117152.0

15 hours ago, Daniel Tudosiu said:

the gradations dissapear totally and I get this weird pixelated transitions between two shades of gray. 

What exactly do you mind there? - Maybe it shows me differently, so I can't see it.

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

Are you sure? So I would doubt a bit - the correct and consistent use of ICC profiles is not exactly a common feature of "previewing" applications.

https://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=117152.0

When I referred to Windows Photo Viewer I meant the old one (not the App), but upon further digging between when I posted the reply and now I found out that even that one is not perfect, so I ended up with digiKam's Showfoto app as a previewer which, after some testing, seems to be colour managed. 

1 hour ago, Pšenda said:

What exactly do you mind there? - Maybe it shows me differently, so I can't see it.

There is no need, as after I exported in sRGB with AP and viewed in digiKam's Showfoto, the colors are rendered properly. At the end of the day I was using an unmanaged photo preview-ing app.

• 1 year later...
2 hours ago, Muffindell said:

Yeah, I've noticed the same when viewing a cr2 file in Photoshop 6 Vs Affinity Photo 1.10.4. The colours are totally different yet use the same calibrated monitor profile. It's the one thing that is preventing me from using it in my workflow, that is until the problem is solved

Hi and welcome to the forum.

RAW files are rendered differently in both Apps by design.

PS is using the “picture profile” containing in the CR2 file, and is setting the adjustments accordingly, including sharpening.

Affinity ignores these metadata, and is using “static” presets (or user-defined presets). Only a limited  set of adjustments like exposure and white balance is derived from the image metadata. No sharpening is applied by default, even if set in the picture profile.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Are you sure Affinity photo is sRGB? On a PC its set in Edit->Preferences->Colour and you can see the colour space in  the context toolbar.

I can switch my monitor from Adobe RGB to sRGB and it makes a big difference to what AP shows.

FWIW I use ROMM RGB in Affinity Photo and change to sRGB on jpg export.