You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Visual bug: flashing artifacts while drawing close to the edge

Gunny

I have noticed that strange flashing artifacts appear when I'm (slowly) drawing with brush close to the edge of the window (i.e. the visible window, not necessarily the edge of the document). It's hard to describe it but unfortunately I can't save it as an animated gif. The diffused transparent pixels close to the brush change their position with every little move of the pen.

designer-border.png.6e230c0f8be12c75b9294687f1c91407.png

designer-border0.png.9f4750c5f9eb6f331e57c48ffd725b4f.png

designer-border2.png.695b895c74d9a9645347ec06b0407d3a.png

It's a temporary defect - when I lift the pen from tablet the stroke redraws itself to its final form and the pixel artifacts disappear. Only the usual (sigh) permanent vector defects stay:

designer-border3.png.68844e053e74c17a14884c60dae4837c.png

It does not happen always but it happens very often.

I am quite sure it happens only when the Controller is set to Pressure. It seems the app can't decide what size of the brush it should use (because the pressure is always slightly changing) and that it even uses different size during every refresh/redraw cycle.

I also feel the probability is getting higher as I get closer to the scroll bar but I am not quite sure about it.

Designer 1.7.2.471 for Windows

Vector brush tool - black outline, no fill, width 7.1 pt, Controller: Pressure

• Staff

Hi Gunny,

Are you able to use a screen capture utility such as TinyTake, to record your screen showing the behaviour? I've tried to reproduce, but not getting it myself, so having a video show it would definitely be helpful, also it would be useful to know which Vector Brush you're using in the Brushes Panel.

I wanted to capture the video with Cocos' LiceCap but it did not work - probably because of double buffering or some kind of direct access of Designer to the screen. The recording contained just the original white background.

So this time I used the easiest method I could - my phone. =)

I used probably the simplest brushes I could - category Pens - "Solid Pen" or "Solid Pen with Pressure".

It really happens only close to the edge of the visible area and it seems to me that the width of this problematic area varies when I change zoom. The bigger is the zoom the wider seems to be the problematic area. I noticed it for the first time with 500 % zoom.

I had an idea to test this bug on my second computer too and I got slightly different result.

The possible reason of the change may (or may not) be disabled Windows Ink.

reg add "HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\WindowsInkWorkspace" /f /v AllowWindowsInkWorkspace /t REG_DWORD /d 0

Designer creates a lot of unwanted points probably on the position of the previous click. I had seen this behaviour on my primary computer too but I had been unable to repeat it.

The final result looks like this:

designer-additional-strokes.thumb.png.a778581665d35f97180fd6af9f31bab7.png