You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Make Affinity Default Raw Import

My laptop did something unspeakable to itself after I chose "Reset Default Settings" on Windows 7 just now, which I did because of a prior wanton act indulged in at some time in the past year, about which it kept me in the dark. (Said act was adding an extra "___" Underscore Symbol during Import, which effectively destroyed the dates of Import by auto-deleting the last two digits of the date.) For ten months, I have been forced to manually Rename, or, to be more accurate, "Re-Date," each new Import folder.

Well, I don't have to tell you what season it is in the Home of the Free and the Brave: LEAF-CHASING TIME. My old Rebel jonesing for soggy, climate-changed maples, I came face-to-face early this morning with a froward rake named "Pixillatron" or "Pixillation." This is a program that appeared at my laptop's front door and brazenly declared itself as the software by which I should open RAW files now that I have Reset Default Settings. I assured Affinity of my fidelity and that I never have nor will Pixillate RAW images.  

I then manually tried to make Affinity once again the Default program for opening the files... but Windows 7 maintained Affinity as the Default app for all kinds of photographic file extensions! Dear Affinity-Aunt, advise me! Why, while still the default program associated with RAW files in Default Programs/Set Associations, does Affinity not show up in Windows Explorer associated with the actual files any longer? Is Pixillation something dangerous and in need of technological penicillin, or merely an indication of my 2009 Dell's ten-year-itch? 

I Remain xD,

American

How are you trying to import the raw photos?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 minute ago, American said:

Just with the SD card. I'll have you know young man it's no longer necessary to tether the camera to the latest technology with a USB cable. xD

:D

So, you have an SD card, and you insert it in the SD reader on your PC. Then (if it's like mine) a dialog pops up asking what you want to do with the SD card. And you choose what action?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

8 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

:D

So, you have an SD card, and you insert it in the SD reader on your PC. Then (if it's like mine) a dialog pops up asking what you want to do with the SD card. And you choose what action?

Strangely, now that I think of it, that dialog box doesn't pop up any longer with SD cards. And these are quality SD cards I buy along with my hot pretzels from a nice young corner vendor. 

Honestly, your response just made me realize this. All that happens is that Windows Explorer's "E:" drive appears, saying SD card/removable storage... AND WITH THAT,  I click to open and find the added underscore symbol. I'd never mess with anything Windows 7 so close to Doomsday.