You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shorcut to fill a selection (PS: ALT + Delete)

Just wanted to say +1 for a keyboard shortcut for filling a selection (e.g., Option + Delete for primary (foreground in PS) and Command + Delete for secondary (background in PS)).

Use those all the time in PS and am really missing that feature in Photo at the moment!  :(

Same here...

Hi,

Shift+F5 will open the Edit -> Fill tool - but I agree, a fast way to fill with primary / secondary would be useful..

Thanks,

Andy.

Hi Andy... I didnt know about that shortcut... interresting! thks for that tip

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...

You can set a custom keyboard shortcut to edit > fill

That's ok. But it still takes many more clicks (keyboard or mouse) just to do a simple fill using the foreground colour... A one button shortcut which just fills with the foreground colour (and another for background) reduces the friction and makes it quick and easy to do masking work... At the moment this is one thing that would possible prevent me from buying Affinity Photo for Windows once it exits beta (yes it might sound petty, but a few extra clicks over the many, many fill operations starts getting really annoying, especially when it wasn't before moving to Affinity Photo).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

1. Settings

2. Keyboard Shortcuts

3. Miscellaneous

4. Set Fill to Black and White

cheers

Yup, I think we know that. If you have a selection (e.g. on a mask), and press option/command+backspace, like you would in PS, can you set this to ,,Fill selected area with Primary/Secondary colour"? I think most of us miss this.

(D,X, alt/cmd+backspace is so deep in my muscle memory, that this missing (or well hid) feature amost hurts!)

MBP 15" + iPad Pro 10,5"

macOS High Sierra 10.14 | iOS 13 | latest Affinity Photo & Designer & Publisher (and Betas)

• 8 months later...

I definitely plus1 for this.I create a curves layer, for example, add a mask to the curves layer and then want to fill that with black so that the effect effects nothing before I then paint in where I want to to affect.  I do this so often it seems so basic that this should be a keyboard shortcut.

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

• 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Yess, You can edit it in the shortcut menu. I'm really happy with it!

> Photos and edit 

> Fill with primary colour

> Fill with Secondary Colour

Unfortunately my option/alt delete won't work. So I'm hoping I can fix this. It's really strange, when I set the command to shift delete it will work, but with alt its impossible. (also command option/alt delete won't work)

There is no triangle saying there is another shortcut.

Edited by Arjan21

1 hour ago, pr1970 said:

This works ok on the PC, have set mine to alt / ctrl + backspace for primary / secondary colours.

I can't make it working on my Mac and I still can't find the reason why. For working at the moment I use shift + delete.

On 4/8/2020 at 6:29 AM, pr1970 said:

This works ok on the PC, have set mine to alt / ctrl + backspace for primary / secondary colours.

I can't make this work. I have changed the shortcuts to alt/ctrl and \ as you can see in the screenshot and then I create a selection as you see in the other screenshot and I hit those keyboard shortcuts and nothing happens. Can you see anything I might be doing wrong? Thanks very much,
Phil

ScreenHunter 120.jpg

ScreenHunter 121.jpg

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

Oh, never mind. I had to have a raster layer for it to work. It works on adjustment layers or in Photo if you have a pixel layer selected. That's great and will be very helpful. Thanks very much,
Phil

I like turtles!

Windows 11

Sony A7iii

Sony A7riii

Sony A7Rii

Sony RX10 Mkiii

Canon G5x

Mavic Mini drone

A partridge

A pear tree (occupied)

www.philrosephoto.com

On 4/6/2020 at 9:54 PM, Arjan21 said:

Unfortunately my option/alt delete won't work. So I'm hoping I can fix this. It's really strange, when I set the command to shift delete it will work, but with alt its impossible. (also command option/alt delete won't work)

There is no triangle saying there is another shortcut.

Hi! I've got the same issue over here. I can set it as a setting.

Ctrl delete will fill with the secondary color

but 

Alt delete (set up to fill with the primary color) just won't work. I tried with the left alt keyboard key as well as with the right keyboard key. 

No conflict triangle but just no reaction in Affinity Photo.

Anybody else here having this issue? Is there any workaround? 

Thank you!