You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Shorcut to fill a selection (PS: ALT + Delete)

On 4/11/2020 at 9:29 PM, miss_c said:

Hi! I've got the same issue over here. I can set it as a setting.

Ctrl delete will fill with the secondary color

but 

Alt delete (set up to fill with the primary color) just won't work. I tried with the left alt keyboard key as well as with the right keyboard key. 

No conflict triangle but just no reaction in Affinity Photo.

Anybody else here having this issue? Is there any workaround? 

Thank you!

I've now shift delete and it works. But hopefully there is a solution with alt delete.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I'm on an a MacBook Pro and I couldn't get ⌘⌫ (command + delete) nor ⌥⌫ (option + delete) to fill. Instead it would delete a layer.

So I opted for the closest key in proximity to delete, which is the backslash (\) key. Now I have ⌘\ to fill with foreground color and ⌥\ to fill with background color. It's only one key away, so for me it should be good for the time being. I would still prefer the same keystrokes as Photoshop.

• 1 month later...

How come this thread dates back to 2015 and the shortcut that seems like it would be 5 minutes of code still hasn't been implemented? lol

I am trying to convert from PS for two weeks now and there's a few niggles in workflow speed. I'm down to 75 days left on my 90 day trial and lack of this hotkey would probably sway me to stick with PS sorry to say. I do love how Affinity Photo feels more native in performance than what PS has degraded too over the last few years but workflow speed is workflow speed. If I can flow with my jobs effortlessly then I do a better job. Being forced to spend more time and clicks doing something so simple causes disruption to my flow. 

This thread has so much support for this hotkey lol. And not wanting to sound arrogant but seeing a staff member comment very early on back in 2015 and still not resolving this issue doesn't give me the best impression for further "feature" development. Take this as constructive criticism from someone using this software for 2 weeks professionally (5-8 hours a day heavy usage coming from a 19 year profession in using photo editing software). I know your strongest marketing point is Price and that's great but what about those who can afford PS for life too? Gotta hook me with something even if it's as small as a hotkey.

Edited by Josh B

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/22/2021 at 7:10 PM, Josh B said:

I am trying to convert from PS for two weeks now and there's a few niggles in workflow speed.

Yep, this seems like it would be an easy one. too bad I can't install my CS4 on my mini, I've been using it for a long time and muscle memory gets the work done.

• 1 year later...
On 3/22/2021 at 7:10 PM, Josh B said:

How come this thread dates back to 2015 and the shortcut that seems like it would be 5 minutes of code still hasn't been implemented? lol

I am trying to convert from PS for two weeks now and there's a few niggles in workflow speed. I'm down to 75 days left on my 90 day trial and lack of this hotkey would probably sway me to stick with PS sorry to say. I do love how Affinity Photo feels more native in performance than what PS has degraded too over the last few years but workflow speed is workflow speed. If I can flow with my jobs effortlessly then I do a better job. Being forced to spend more time and clicks doing something so simple causes disruption to my flow. 

This thread has so much support for this hotkey lol. And not wanting to sound arrogant but seeing a staff member comment very early on back in 2015 and still not resolving this issue doesn't give me the best impression for further "feature" development. Take this as constructive criticism from someone using this software for 2 weeks professionally (5-8 hours a day heavy usage coming from a 19 year profession in using photo editing software). I know your strongest marketing point is Price and that's great but what about those who can afford PS for life too? Gotta hook me with something even if it's as small as a hotkey.

I have found this to be a common trend… I use Affinity Photo very rarely at times (when everybody else on my team uses Photoshop) because it feels more native and snappier in performance.

However, sometimes I spend too many minutes doing something that takes a fraction of the time with PS (which I dislike with a passion because of all the bloating that nobody ever asked for).

Filling a layer/selection still feels like a heavy friction hassle, color picking with the magnifier glass is the slowest action ever (it lags, hiccups and chokes the moment it tries to appear… I had made a video of it, silence), and I seem to not grasp the shapes tool… sometimes they fill with the top right color chooser, sometimes it doesn’t (gotta press X to switch between fore/back colors… maybe only one of the two fills, not clear), etc.

Layout work works amazingly well… but so many other things are unclear in general: masks, clipping mask, effects, live effects and their the two tiered nesting levels (under a layer and the-under-in-between-to-the-right something) of it all. Reorganizing them after the fact seems to be a hit or miss too. The export persona refused to move slices, I have no clue how to move slices after I made them last time I used them. They seem to select or create a new one on top… just not move.

And the elephant in this room… filling, try putting command delete or alt delete shortcut and it will delete a layer instead, as if the delete key has priority no matter the key modifiers combination.

I understand this comes as too negative, and that it’s probably a very small team, but years on end without a solution is also very harsh for clients that would love to see this thrive. It takes a lot of time to investigate, come up with what brushes seem to be doing what, what fails, document it, capture videos at times to then be met with silence.

It’s been over a year without an update looks like? Here’s hoping for an incredible overhaul of bug fixes (not features, just bug fixes). Fingers crossed from a sporadic non heavy user of affinity photo.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Have just found this topic and sad to see that after years of discussion, there's still issues with this simple bit of functionality.

I've assigned shortcut keys to both "Fill with Primary Colour" (Mac Opt + Backspace) and "Fill with Secondary Colour" (Mac Ctrl + Backspace), but they just don't work. When selecting those options from the Edit menu, the functionality works as expected, but the shortcut keys that have been assigned just refuse to work.

Any chance this will ever get fixed??