You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Finally found the issue!! (failed to load/save documents)

Remco_NL

Problem:
I wasn't able to load my (very large) documents without Publisher crashing.
Once in a while, I could load the document but was unable to save it (not even to a new version).

The issue:
Even though Publisher is installed on a different drive, and all the files are located on fast SSD's with loads of space.
During the saving of this file, there is a folder in C:\Appdata\Roaming that grows enormous. (in my case 20GB).
When there is no 20GB available, I get these kinds of errors. Unfortunately,  the message doesn't make it clear that it concerns drive space on the boot drive.
Even more unfortunate, there doesn't seem to be a setting where I can force Publisher to use one of my faster drives where I do have Terabytes available. :(

The proposed fix
I really, really, really hope Affinity will let me choose which folder it will use to do these computations.
I would expect to find these settings in my Preferences.
And maybe throw a different exception that will let me know whats going on.

until then, I'll keep some extra space on my boot drive.
Kind regards,

This may help some users when you cant free up enough space on your primary SSD

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/85560-choose-temporary-files-directory-option/

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• Staff

Hi,

I've looked into this, I can't reproduce a crash but I can reproduce some incorrect behaviour, where if there is no space to stream the file to temp we will either warn the file is incorrectly corrupt, or access to the file will be lost when loading (because we ran out of space to stream to). We should be providing better error messages at this point (although also, at this point Windows will should also be warning about low local storage)

I've logged this, although I'm interested why you experience a crash and I don't.

I'm looking into reproducing the issue you have with saving

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Hi Jon,

This might be due to a difference in versions.
I've encountered the majority of my hard crashes soon after launch.
I did try multiple versions (up until the Beta of 1.7.2)
Honestly, I got a little frustrated and decided to leave it alone for a couple of weeks.

When I tried again yesterday (1.7.2.472), I didn't get any hard crashes as I did earlier.
I was able to load the files. But saving resulted in a hung instance of Publisher. 
By this time another application started reporting low disk space. (this was not Windows, but let's not get started on that one ;-) )
This prompted me to investigate since I how much disc space I should have available.

I should have reported that I've updated the version in between.
I simply forgot an was too excited that I have my project back.
Anyway. It's great to see how fast you guys are pushing those quality-of-life improvements.