You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Mapping

Hello

I attach a screenshot of what happens now using Tone Mapping. There has been a tendency for this kind of halo over several versions but it seems to have become emphasisied with the latest update. It makes the Tone Mapping facility almost unusable because there seems no way of avoiding or correcting it.

Apart from this and some minor quirks the latest version is a joy to use

Michae

PhotoToneMapping.jpg

• Staff

Hey ms.fuentecilla,

Does this happen if you try using other ICC profiles or just ROMM RGB? Do you have a monitor that supports the wider gamut with ROMM RGB?

I've tried a few different raw files from a Sony but not your specific model so a sample image would be appreciated. 

Hello Chris

This is a very new laptop, Vivobook Pro 17 with a screen that supports ROMM. However, following your suggestion I tried out AdbeRGB, with the same result. On images where the tonal contrasts (as opposed to colour) are not so strong there is a lesser impact but present. Hope this is helpful.

Michael

PhotoToneMapping_AdobeRGB.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hello Chris

Long delay but we are having to try and deal with complicated personal aspects of Brexit fallout amongst other things

Does anyone know what part of the mapping process might cause this? It is obviously quite a complex set of manipulations, each of which might react with another, but which part is most likely to handle the contrast of edges using such a wide pixel count? If I process this image manually and carefully using a wide range of techniques nothing like this occurs. The mapping is a very useful quick tool but so far I have found no way of dealing with such an event within its parameters.

I'm reluctant to upload this particular image but could use another since this result occurs frequently.

• 1 month later...

Hello Chris

I have found the source of this. It is excessive tone compression in the automatic response of tone mapping. It can be controlled by reducing this and by also controlling local contrast. Hope this might be helpful to others, though there don't seem to be many of the latter! Using TIFFs instead of RAW also helps, since RAW frames in Tone Mapping, especially of panoramas, exaggerates several aspects of saturation and local contrast.

Long delays as we continue trying to cope with relocation under the gloomy skies of Brexit! Apologies.

Michael