You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Nikon Z6 RAW (NEF) files coming very dark on Develop Persona

HI All, 

I have already seen the thread -  

But it does not seem to help me. I am using 1.7.2.471 version of Affinity and Windows 10 (Surface Book First Version).

And the second copy is how it looks in default Windows Photos Raw viewer.

Please help me what is wrong with this as, I used a batch processing on my RAW photos and they seem to look completely different if I try to do it one photo at a time. Thanks

image.png

image.png

Check the 32bit preview panel, if it isn't shown it's on the menu (View > Studio > 32bit Preview) just place a tick next to it and the panel will open, then you adjust the settings to get a brighter image.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

4 hours ago, KaushikRay said:

as, I used a batch processing on my RAW photos and they seem to look completely different if I try to do it one photo at a time.

Are you saying they are too dark when you use batch processing, and OK if you do them one at a time in the Develop Persona?

If so, that is how things work. Batch processing uses a much simpler approach to development of raw images. You can experiment with the images, and determine (for example) a set of adjustments to make in the Photo Persona to make them look better. Then you can record those adjustments as a macro, save it, and apply that macro during your batch processing. That should get you closer, though each image may need some further individual adjustments.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Yes, That is what is happening.Two points - 

1. I created a macro in Photo persona and applied the macro in Batch on RAW files.I get different results when I try to process same image but by directly applying the macro

2. In general when I try to import the RAW NEF files in Affinity, and I find them way too underexposed and flat as I have shared in my original post. My main issue with this post here is, I want the RAW files to come as I see on my camera - Z6 orr how I see it on default RAW viewer on Windows 10 Photos app. 

The first pic underexposed one is in Develop Persona in Affinity without any changes and second photo is default RAW viewer in windows 10 Photo App without any changes.

OK; you mentioned batch processing, which is why I gave the answer I did.

If you're complaining that the raw image is too dark in the Develop Persona, that's something different.

Raw files will not appear in Affinity (even in the Develop Persona) as you see them on the camera. The camera is showing you various options you have chosen while taking the picture, that is, exposure and scene adjustments that it would apply if it were giving you a JPG print. Affinity Photo is showing you the raw image (raw camera data) with no adjustments applied except those you have requested via the Develop Assistant:
image.png.b0051fb230f1d58569e0c7ea3b8888db.png

But Affinity will not apply any camera-specific adjustments that you may have made in the camera.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Ok. Yes I tried experimenting with assistant but could not get near to camera view. BUt I get it. Is there an easy way by which I can say affinity to correct or apply some set up while opening these images (as I understood macro will not work on Develop persona) and I am mostly working with RAW files. Thanks

Just now, KaushikRay said:

Ok. Yes I tried experimenting with assistant but could not get near to camera view. BUt I get it. Is there an easy way by which I can say affinity to correct or apply some set up while opening these images (as I understood macro will not work on Develop persona) and I am mostly working with RAW files. Thanks

Your only choices within Affinity Photo, I think, are what the Develop Assistant will give you, followed by either:

1. Making adjustments in the Develop Persona (or applying Presets that you've saved), then pressing the Develop button; or
  2. Making all your adjustments after you press Develop. These could be done by a macro that you create.

-- Walt
PC: