You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Jobbing Work in Affinity

AlanPickup

Hi

As mentioned in previous posts all my work has been for Charities or community groups FOC.

Whilst these may not be overboard in design they illustrate the jobbing printing capability of Affinity. The last few weeks have seen me fully switch from Page Plus to the full Affinity suite and I thought I would share some of the work inc a 32 page brochure about Health Services in our community, much of it working from a range of supplied pdfs and images. We received the printed version today and it has been well received. You can see the online copy at the printers website https://mixam.co.uk/share/5d6a5d422b0e5d1600d4a8d7 

I have also done a 6ft x 2ft Banner to display in the town using Affinity throughout, shown below, also leaflets and posters

2479718_PosterBanner.png.f9236e75939eec5a7993fe1635469c40.png

The only thing I have resorted to using in the serif suite recently has been draw plus for the autotrace function to convert photos to svg and when exported as pdf Affinity loads them without problem, it can save a lot of time when creating svgs. So I gave thumbs up for this as a feature request in Affinity

PS I am on page 3 of the brochure 

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

Nicely done.

In the brochure, the text is nice and clear. Sometimes people can go overboard with effects or just “something cool that they found they could do” and the text becomes obscured but everything here seems to be easy to read, even on-screen at a small size.
The choice of colours also seems to be friendly and in-keeping with the adverts.

I have some comments which might be useful:
1. There are no page numbers on the pages. For example, on page 15 there’s a note to say the text is continued on page 17 but the reader doesn’t know which page they are on – without counting – so they might not know where to go next.
2. In the body text, you seem to have used different fonts/font-widths and line spacings, e.g. pages 4&5, amongst others. Was this deliberate to be able to fit the text on the pages? (It’s usual to stick to the same font for body text but that’s not a hard and fast law.)
3. It’s usual to use a baseline grid to get text lined-up across the pages but this can be restrictive in some cases and may not be what you wanted. Do you know about baseline grid?
4. On pages 24&25 there is quite a difference between the gaps around the two images. That’s not a major problem but it’s worth checking for. It’s usually better to have gaps that are reasonably consistent in size but sometimes it’s just not possible.
5. On page 19 the spacing of the text in the dark green boxes is a little bit ‘off’. Not by much but my eye caught it pretty quickly.

Having said all of that, these are only minor issues which I picked up on because I am still teaching myself this sort of thing.
I’m not trying to be deliberately picky, I just thought I’d mention them in case you hadn’t noticed.

18 minutes ago, GarryP said:

2. In the body text, you seem to have used different fonts/font-widths and line spacings, e.g. pages 4&5, amongst others. Was this deliberate to be able to fit the text on the pages? (It’s usual to stick to the same font for body text but that’s not a hard and fast law.)

It's also usual to stick to two or three fonts. Ignoring the 'healthy darwen' logo itself, I see at least five different fonts in the banner.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)