Sign in to follow this  
Lagarto

Hyperlink Go to Target not working for URLs

When a hyperlink's type is URL, the Go to Target button is not available (i.e., it is grayed out). This might be a feature rather than a bug, but I ended up reporting it here because the documentation does not mention anything about hyperlink type restrictions when describing this feature, and because one might expect the URLs to be visitable similarly as in InDesign, as it is often important to check that links (also URL ones) included in a publication are not broken.

9 minutes ago, pruus said:

Did you did the same as in this tutorial?
see: https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/publisher/desktop/video/337459129/

Special for Anchor, view from 2:00.

That's setting a hyperlink that goes to an anchor within the document.

Lagarto wants to use hyperlinks to URLs, and to be able to visit the URL. At the end of that Tutorial, where "Go to Anchor" is discussed, the presenter specifically says it works for internal links.

-- Walt

Windows 10 Home, version 1903 (18362.356), 16GB memory, Intel Core i7-6700K @ 4.00Gz, GeForce GTX 970
Affinity Photo 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta   / Affinity Designer 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.486 Beta  / Affinity Publisher 1.7.3.481 and 1.8.0.499 Beta

I am talking about URL type of hyperlink (not an anchor). Go to Target works fine with e.g. Page and Anchor type of hyperlinks.

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

That's setting a hyperlink that goes to an anchor within the document.

Lagarto wants to use hyperlinks to URLs, and to be able to visit the URL. At the end of that Tutorial, where "Go to Anchor" is discussed, the presenter specifically says it works for internal links.

Ok, it seems URL kinds of targets just are not supported at the moment in the Go to target feature.

"Go to target" is to take you to the target within the app, it isn't meant to load a target url in your default browser.

I could see this maybe as an improvement, or we should maybe be a bit clearer in the docs.

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

Thanks.

It would be a useful improvement (and quite easy to implement, too). While URLs are by no means expected to be eternally unbroken, they are still typically meant to be active and working at publishing time (since why else even encode them as explicit hyperlinks in the layout). Also, URL hyperlnks do not always appear as URLs in the user interface, or are not necessarily even wanted to stand out visually (other than by changing the text cursor while hovering on top of the text) so it would be a tedious task to check URLs from the produced PDF.