jilkyking

Just made a graphic 。I like the affinity designer of the ipad version.

Thanks for posting the video.
The technique you used to make the rhombus trapezium shape (around 0:24) is a great tip that I had never though of, thanks for that.
What is the tool (between ‘Pen’ and ‘Transparency’) that you use to ‘darken’ everything (around 1:49)? The video isn’t very clear and I can’t find any tool in the Desktop version which looks like it.
P.S. I had to watch the video with the sound off. In my opinion, the music doesn’t do it any favours.

Annotation 2019-09-07 100214.png

Edited by GarryP

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

The technique you used to make the rhombus shape (around 0:24) is a great tip that I had never though of, thanks for that.

It’s actually a trapezoid — or trapezium in British English — so you could use the Trapezoid Tool instead. (For those wondering, a rhombus is a parallelogram with equal sides.)

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

What is the tool (between ‘Pen’ and ‘Transparency’) that you use to ‘darken’ everything (around 1:49)? The video isn’t very clear and I can’t find any tool in the Desktop version which looks like it.

That’s the Fill Tool. :)

342D651C-B97F-4491-9EEE-B394FBC96726.jpeg.0d341c9481b28c817ea5fb1a0c7017a5.jpeg

1 hour ago, GarryP said:

P.S. I had to watch the video with the sound off. In my opinion, the music doesn’t do it any favours.

I always have the sound muted unless I specifically want to listen to something, so I didn’t even know there was any annoying music!

Alfred online2long.gif
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 1.7.3.481 • Windows 10 Home (4th gen Core i3 CPU)
Affinity Photo for iPad 1.7.3.155 • Designer for iPad 1.7.3.1 • iOS 12.4.1 (iPad Air 2)

Damn, yeah, you’re right, it’s a trapezium. I wasn’t thinking too much there. (Mistake above has been edited.) Sometimes I start off with a rectangle and want to make it into a trapezium so this is a good tip to put in my back pocket; it’s probably got other uses too.

Ah, the Fill Tool. I wonder why it looks so different between OSes. A bit confusing when watching videos, especially those of low image quality and in a different language. That still doesn’t tell me how they achieved the ‘darkening’ effect though. The video shoots by so quickly that I can’t tell what’s going on. (Arrow keys go by 5-second intervals whereas I want to go frame-by-frame.) When I try it, all of the selected objects are given a new ‘combined fill’ rather than having some kind of ‘overlay’ applied as it seems in the video. Does the iPad version differ in this way too or am I missing a step?

I’ve accidentally watched a few tutorial videos on mute without realising that someone was talking so I generally only mute now if it doesn’t seem like there’s going to be anything useful to listen to.

3 hours ago, GarryP said:

Thanks for posting the video.
The technique you used to make the rhombus trapezium shape (around 0:24) is a great tip that I had never though of, thanks for that.

Annotation 2019-09-07 100214.png

实际上应该使用 “Transparency tool”,视频中我用错了工具。我的做法:用一个底色,然后覆盖一层相同大小的黑色,用透明工具调整黑色,然后把黑色透明度调整到合适的,叠加模式换成”正片叠底“,并将黑色置入底色层。

In fact, you should use the "Transparency tool", I used the wrong tool in the video. My approach: use a background color, then cover a layer of black of the same size, adjust the black with a transparent tool, then adjust the black transparency to the appropriate, the overlay mode is replaced by the "multiply" and the black is placed in the background. Floor.

Sorry, I don't know English. These contents are google translated. There may be a mistake in the translation.

I come from China.  I am not good in English.  :4_joy:

My youtube:Jinyu