You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Page insertion in spreads loses margins

Yankeese

22 minutes ago, Yankeese said:

Moving to Quark felt like heaven in terms of this text flow issue -- at least until the new bug appeared in Quark 2019. But it is so complicated at so many levels, I had high hopes that Affinity would do the job more easily. I'll guess I'll have to wait for future developments.

Which bug in Q2019?

13 minutes ago, Lagarto said:

OMG, aren't Advantage subscribers happy that they get bug fixes four times a year ;-) 

But seriously, isn't there backwards compatible .qxp file format in QXP2019 (equivalent to File > Save As / Downsave)?

It seems IDML is becoming a universal standard for exchanging DTP data (even if Affinity does very well opening multipage PDFs) -- Scribus does it, VivaDesigner does, Quark does, and soon probably Affinity Publisher does. Good for everyone.

Yes, 2019 can downsave to 2018. But I don't consider that the same as interchangeable. Depending on what differences exist in the programs, the file formatting could be changed. Mind you, I am still learning all these programs, so I am far, far away from being any kind of expert. I'm just trying to get a handle on their main features at this point, with my own workflow in mind.

4 minutes ago, Yankeese said:

It won't export to PDF anymore, since their update of a few days ago. You get an error message. (see attached.) When I persisted, it crashed. Other users are experiencing the same issue.

Hmm, I'm running the Sept. 9th update and am exporting PDFs every day using Windows 10...but I have seen reports of some Mac users (a few) and (previously) a Win user having issues. Does quitting Q, making sure nothing like Windows Explorer / Finder does not have a previous PDF selected, restarting Q work? As well, perhaps using the Q Cache Cleaner?

It's certainly not widespread...which absolutely is of no comfort!

1 minute ago, MikeW said:

Hmm, I'm running the Sept. 9th update and am exporting PDFs every day using Windows 10...but I have seen reports of some Mac users (a few) and (previously) a Win user having issues. Does quitting Q, making sure nothing like Windows Explorer / Finder does not have a previous PDF selected, restarting Q work? As well, perhaps using the Q Cache Cleaner?

It's certainly not widespread...which absolutely is of no comfort!

I followed the instructions in their crash report. I deleted preferences and cleared the cache. Restarted. Did this multiple times. No help. Quark support has already been in touch with me, asking for files.

• 3 weeks later...

I reported this issue a long time ago in Beta testing, but it was never addressed further than it was a design decision. In other words, that's how developers meant it to work! It was never considered a bug. This seems strange since the abandoned PagePlus master pages work perfectly. This was a deal breaker for me as well, since I write novels, and must be able to add single pages without loosing the master page items like different headers for left and right, as well as page number location, etc. Sadly, Publisher is only good for small publications or publications that don't use specific master pages with facing pages. I had high hopes, but maybe in a year or so, they'll see the light. I tried the latest version: no change!

4 hours ago, ToOldForThis said:

I reported this issue a long time ago in Beta testing, but it was never addressed further than it was a design decision. In other words, that's how developers meant it to work! It was never considered a bug. This seems strange since the abandoned PagePlus master pages work perfectly. This was a deal breaker for me as well, since I write novels, and must be able to add single pages without loosing the master page items like different headers for left and right, as well as page number location, etc. Sadly, Publisher is only good for small publications or publications that don't use specific master pages with facing pages. I had high hopes, but maybe in a year or so, they'll see the light. I tried the latest version: no change!

Interesting context. Thanks for this. I've gone on to bite the bullet and learn Quark. You're right, Affinity is  no use for long-form documents like novels. The inability to break the document into separate files, then recombine the parts when exporting to PDF, is another one. (Dividing a long document into sections does not help, because the program can't handle really long documents. It takes forever to do even the simplest tasks.)

@Yankeese I found that if you move between tabs on the same area where the Pages tab is located causes a long delay before the page miniatures are shown again. The workaround for the long delay is to place the Pages tab in a separate area on the workspace, and never moving off it. For whatever reason, it almost looks like APub is rebuilding the pages display every time you re-open it. APub is no speed demon, but for me, at a max of 500 pages, it's tolerable. The master page issue is not. You might want to give Serif's legacy product, PagePlus, a look-see. I think they're still selling it cheap. It's what I've been using for years, and works great, with a few little quirks. I just did the layout for my last novel, adding plenty of single pages, with perfect performance from the master pages. Creating the PDF for upload to a POD was a breeze. Still can't figure why they would have so radically changed APub from the great PagePlus, which they own, that has so many great features.

8 hours ago, ToOldForThis said:

@Yankeese I found that if you move between tabs on the same area where the Pages tab is located causes a long delay before the page miniatures are shown again. The workaround for the long delay is to place the Pages tab in a separate area on the workspace, and never moving off it. For whatever reason, it almost looks like APub is rebuilding the pages display every time you re-open it. APub is no speed demon, but for me, at a max of 500 pages, it's tolerable. The master page issue is not. You might want to give Serif's legacy product, PagePlus, a look-see. I think they're still selling it cheap. It's what I've been using for years, and works great, with a few little quirks. I just did the layout for my last novel, adding plenty of single pages, with perfect performance from the master pages. Creating the PDF for upload to a POD was a breeze. Still can't figure why they would have so radically changed APub from the great PagePlus, which they own, that has so many great features.

Thanks for this. Very useful information. Unfortunately for Affinity, or for Serif, I am done experimenting with a program that is so cantankerous. I just went through three years of that with CorelDRAW. Although I was eventually able to get a decent format for my novel, it was a nightmare of crashes, slowdowns, missing functions -- just not usable for real production layout. It is, after all, a drawing program. Serif may still be selling PagePlus, but they are obviously not going to support it any more, and I don't wan't to walk across the stream on slippery rocks yet one more time. Now that I'm really getting used to Quark, I'm going to keep using it. It is difficult, and has many idiosyncrasies of its own, but it is blazing fast, and it is still an industry standard, and I'm finding that their support team is excellent.