You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Crash when saving in 1.7.2

Steve C

After working on a document for a few days, I can no longer save the document (or Save As...) without the application crashing. The problem is 100% repeatable and is the same on both my iMac and MacBook Pro. I can create new documents or open and re-save other documents without problem. The occurrence of the problem roughly coincides with installing two new fonts for use in the document, so could perhaps be related to that. The 40-page document only comprises a page of text so far, plus a couple of tables, an Affinity Photo cover image and four master pages. I can provide the offending (22MB) document on request, and have attached the crash log. I'm on Mojave 10.14.6.

Crash log.txt

I've just tried Beta - 1.7.3.475 and it doesn't help. I only bought the Affinity suite a few weeks ago and this is only my second document. I was SO enthused with the software and happy to ditch Adobe CS at long last, but now I'm nervous to try recreating my problem document from scratch in case I lose all my work.

• Staff

I can reproduce this crash, if I remove the text frames on the Master A and Left title page master pages it fixes it (but the text on page 2 is lost).

I'll log this as this will be similar to something we've seen before, the key is finding out what steps got the file into this state.

Was this file created in 1.7.1 or 1.7.2 do you know? We fixed a way to get this to happen in 1.7.2 so if this was created in 1.7.2 then it means there's another "recipe" to reproduce getting a file into this state.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com

That's really helpful Jon - thanks. I'm pretty sure the document was created in 1.7.2, as I only started using Publisher a few weeks ago and don't think any updates have been applied. I'll be sure to post here if I get any further issues that might help to pinpoint the problem.

A similar crashing problem has now appeared, which may be related. I initially discovered a problem when trying to flow overset text from one page to the next, whereby the 'flowed' text would appear invisible on the page, but could still be selected and copied. I then discovered that I could still flow into text into any even page, but the problem always appeared in odd-numbered pages. Also, when hovering the text flow tool over the odd-numbered pages, the interior of the text frame failed to turn blue, presumably indicating that it was not ready to accept text.

Anyway, assuming I'd done something wrong, I tried deleting the text frames in my master pages (intending to re-create them), but now the document crashes every time I delete the master text frame and try to save. If I re-open the document all is well, until I try to delete the frame again...

• Staff

If you upload the document again I'll see what I can do, but I'm fairly certain it has some corrupt objects inside that a developer will need to fix. I'm still investigating and trying to reproduce getting a new document into this state.

• Staff

I've PM'd you a version of the file that should save, I re-created the frames that contained some of the corrupt objects, but I think it all looks as it did.

I'm still trying to reproduce what happened, and I reckon you will find this happens again in the future.

Do you often duplicate master pages when working?

Is it intentional that you have the left side of a facing page master spread assigned to one page, and the right side of another master spread assigned to another page? 

Do you copy+paste text alot inside the document?

Many thanks Jon - I'll give this file a try. I've created this particular document purely as a learning exercise to teach myself Publisher, and picked it because it requires quite a few different techniques to complete (multiple masters, nested tables, ToC, inline images, drop caps, bulleted lists and Initial Words).

To answer your questions, I quite often duplicate and modify master pages. This document is probably the first time I've needed to assign one master page type to the right-hand page and a different one to the left-hand page, but I don't imagine it's an uncommon requirement. Most of the text within this document is being pasted in from a source PDF in small blocks, though for most projects I'd tend to place entire Word files.

I'll report back if the document breaks again.

The document now saves just fine, but the pasting problem persists. If I try flowing the overset text on page 8 into page 11, the text goes in, but is invisible. I can only select it by selecting the end of the text in page 8, then using [Shift]-[right arrow] to progressively highlight what's on p11. I can paste into page 9 or 11 without problems.

If there were a temporary workaround I'd be happy to recreate the document from scratch on this occasion, but I guess we don't yet know what that workaround might be? I'd be happy to spend a few hours or so trying things out if that helps...

• Staff

Hi @Steve C,

So looking into that, there's another completely unrelated bug I've just logged. If you re-assign Master A to Page 10+11 it should then fix it.

What's happening here, is the left hand side and right hand side of Master A are applied independantly to Pages 10,11 (this is fine and can and should be allowed), however a bug at the moment is meaning when you try flow to Page 11, you are flowing to a hidden page that you shouldn't be able to select, instead of the right side of Master A that is applied.

Bit hard to explain, but re-assigning Master A to pages 10+11 should fix it for you, either way that is logged with us now.

Thanks

On 9/11/2019 at 4:28 AM, Jon P said:

Is it intentional that you have the left side of a facing page master spread assigned to one page, and the right side of another master spread assigned to another page? 

Just by way of providing additional feedback, I often have a different master applied to each of two facing pages. A common approach I use is to have a different master for the first of a chapter, the inner pages of a chapter, and the end of a chapter. For example, let's say that a chapter ends with a partial page on the right. The page on the left would be the inner chapter, and the page on the right would be the end of chapter master. Then the following spread be start of chapter entirely, of which the left side is empty and the next chapter begins on the right.