• Staff

Purpose: Improvements, Fixes
Requirements: Purchased Affinity Publisher
Windows Store: Not submitted
Download: Download
Auto-update: Not Available

---

Hi,

We are pleased to announce that an updated customer beta of Affinity Publisher (1.7.3.475) is now available as a download from the link above.

If this is your first time using a customer beta of an Affinity app please note that the beta will install as a separate app alongside your store version. They will not interfere with each other at all and you can continue to use the store version for critical work without worry.

The beta is an incremental update to the 1.7.2 store version. We recommend that you use this beta in preference to your store version if you are affected by any of the issues listed below.

If you have any problems using this version please make a new topic in this forum and we'll get back to you as soon as we can. Please feel free to leave general suggestions and comments in the Discussion Forum.

---

StudioLink

This beta requires corresponding 1.7.3 Beta versions of Designer and Photo for StudioLink to function. These are not currently available but should be released soon.

---

Text Handling
Pasting text could replace unselected text under certain circumstances.
Text frames wrapping around other text frames only use z-order if both have wrap.
Fix for Text on a Path handle snapping / jumping.
(Win) Character page dropdowns not working when using select tool.

Print and Export
(Mac) Fix for crash printing CMYK documents with Embedded RGB documents.
(Mac) PDF Export: Allow advanced features checkbox was missing.

General
Fixed odd behaviour with transform panel adjusting size of sheared objects.
(Win) Fix for failures when installed to folder with a non-ANSI path.

Plus fixes for stability issues that have been logged with us.
Plus Translation and Help updates.

---

To be notified about all future Windows beta updates, please follow this notification thread 

To be notified when this Publisher update comes out of beta and is fully released to all Publisher customers, please follow this thread

Thanks, Adam.

By the way, I just noticed that the installer puts up this panel:
image.png.470f8e59e05088d6715c510e05c7d931.png

It would be less confusing if that said "Affinity Publisher Beta" in both places, and used the beta logo (now that we have one again).

But, more importantly, the install worked fine :)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I came to the download from another part of the forum Reporting bugs in Publisher where it dos not state about the Studio Link not working in this version, as I had read the changes in that part of the forum I did not read it again in here and went ahead with the upgrade, now need to wait for Photo and Designer Betas to be upgraded before fully functional and use it.

May be best updating that posting to advise of this issue

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

• Staff
13 minutes ago, AlanPickup said:

I came to the download from another part of the forum Reporting bugs in Publisher where it dos not state about the Studio Link not working in this version, as I had read the changes in that part of the forum I did not read it again in here and went ahead with the upgrade, now need to wait for Photo and Designer Betas to be upgraded before fully functional and use it.

May be best updating that posting to advise of this issue

I am sorry that you did not realise, but I don't see why that matters. You still have access to the purchased version (the beta is a parallel install, not over the top) so run the release build when you want to use the other personas. Not having those betas should not stop us releasing the betas IMHO.

I have edited those "Read Me First" posts, as it cannot harm to say so, thanks.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

To test it I use projects I am working on and have found Studio Link so useful as a workflow, maybe just me as it is confusing getting used to the different working from the Serif Legacy products, I want to keep to a structure that is same in both live and beta and I can wait. I am sure there are others like myself. I am not a full time designer and do not charge for any work I do  as it is all for charities. May be the fact that I served my apprenticeship in printing in the 1960's when an IBM Varityper with Golf Ball head was considered a big advance, and left the trade in the 1970's that I am stuck in my ways.

Alan Pickup

Windows 11 Home all Affinity suite of Apps PC and Gigabyte Laptop 16gb Ram and Nvidia GTX1660 Super on each.

• Staff

Thanks for the explanation. It's nice to know it is being used as designed.

Please work on COPIES of important projects when using any beta.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

Thanks for the update.

Because Studio Link depends on synchronicity between all 3 apps, you should consider of announcing updates of all of them at same time.

All the latest releases of Designer, Photo and Publisher (retail and beta) on MacOS and Windows.
15” Dell Inspiron 7559 i7 Windows 10 x64 Pro Intel Core i7-6700HQ (3.50 GHz, 6M) 16 GB Dual Channel DDR3L 1600 MHz (8GBx2) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4 GB GDDR5 500 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD UHD (3840 x 2160) Truelife LED - Backlit Touch Display
32” LG 32UN650-W display 3840 x 2160 UHD, IPS, HDR10 Color Gamut: DCI-P3 95%, Color Calibrated 2 x HDMI, 1 x DisplayPort
13.3” MacBook Pro (2017) Ventura 13.6 Intel Core i7 (3.50 GHz Dual Core) 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 Intel Iris Plus Graphics 650 1536 MB 500 GB SSD Retina Display (3360 x 2100)

• Staff
10 minutes ago, Petar Petrenko said:

Because Studio Link depends on synchronicity between all 3 apps, you should consider of announcing updates of all of them at same time.

Er, yes but I am not willing to delay a beta (reducing the amount of testing time) until the others are ready on both operating systems. That risks missing regressions that would have been caught given more time. That was my recommendation to Adam.

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd