You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to double click to edit layer in Affinity Photo?

Hi Friends,

I’ve decided to try Affinity apps on the iPad, my impression is just wow, finally I can work on the iPad. Awesome job Serif!

Anyway I have a mock up PSD file, no problem opening the file in Affinity Photo, but just 1 problem i’m facing, How to double click on the layer to edit the content inside like how we can do it in Photoshop Desktop?

i hoped the explanation above make sense, look forward for a solution.

Thanks.

Hi Fandi, If you use open from cloud the psd file open ready to edit. Designer supports psd format. If you 'embedded' the psd file into a Designer document using 'Place image', then you simply double tap on the file to open then edit it. The image below is an svg placed (embedded) but action to open edit is same for all embedded files. The blue circles show where the screen I’d touched (Show Touches turned on in Settings). The current release has a few annoying bugs which will hopefully be fixed in next release, but I agree it is a 'wow' app! :D

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

Hi DM1,

How are you mate?

Thanks for the guide, but we not quite hitting the mark yet. I’m sharing the mock up PSD file here, please download the file.

So once you have downloaded the file, open it in Affinity Photo or Designer, you could see a layer named “Your design here (double click on the layer thumbnail)”.

Usually with photoshop, I could just double click on that layer and put my design in it so it would appear on the mock up, but with Affinity Photo, I don’t know how to replicate this step?

Does my explanation make sense?

Thanks.

Cardboard-Box-MockUp.zip

50 minutes ago, DWright said:

This layer is a PSB Smart Object which Affinity Photo rasterise as we currently do not support these objects. 

Hi Dwright,

Any work around that could work or is there any mock up file that are supported by Affinity Photo?

No easy way. Maybe draw a rectangle over existing text on box with pen tool and fill with colour picker to match text background. Then add your own text.

M1 IPad Air 10.9/256GB   lpadOS 17.1.1 Apple Pencil (2nd gen).
Affinity Photo 1.10.5 Affinity Design 1.10.5 
Affinity Publisher 2, Affinity Designer 2, Affinity Photo 2 and betas.

Official Online iPad Help documents (multi-lingual) here: https://affinity.https://affinity.help/ 

15 hours ago, Fandi said:

Any work around that could work or is there any mock up file that are supported by Affinity Photo?

The closest equivalent may be to embed a .afphoto or .afdesigner or .afpub file rather than the PSB smart object, if your goal is to produce a file with that kind "smart object" capabiliity.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

The closest equivalent may be to embed a .afphoto or .afdesigner or .afpub file rather than the PSB smart object, if your goal is to produce a file with that kind "smart object" capabiliity.

Is there a guide how to embed it as afphoto or afdesigner file? Should I just rename the PSD file with the extension?

3 hours ago, Fandi said:

Is there a guide how to embed it as afphoto or afdesigner file? Should I just rename the PSD file with the extension?

Sorry. I was describing a way you could create a new file to use as a mockup, similar to what was done in Photoshop in your existing PSD. But you would be creating a .afphoto file (our equivalent of a PSD) with another file embedded.

You can't work with the smart object in that PSD, and you're not going to be able to do anything with it and then re-save it as a PSD with a usable "smart object" in it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1