You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

customisation

Hi,

I am glad Affinity is still going strong. I like the idea of having some kind of competition for Adobe, and there are some great ideas in there. I would love for some features to have more options, or work in a more refined way, for instance the pencil tool in AD, which is quite rudimentary compared to AI. I know this is version 1, and there is still gonna be loads of development, but this keeps me from using Affinity on a regular basis.

One thing I still sorely miss is the ability to customize the program to my needs. This includes tools, workspaces, shortcuts and all. PS and AI allow for quite a good level of customisation, but my hero in this is certainly Manga Studio 5, which allows the user to customize almost everything about its program. This allowed me to tailor the program to my specific needs and really speeds up my workflow. Modifier keys play a big role in this as well. Now when I use the node tool, there is no way to change a corner, or delete or add a point, without going to the menu. IThis is just one example of many which makes the workflow in AD too fussy and slow for my needs. I hope there will be change in the regard, as it is even more important to me than big new tools like autotrace or whatnot.

• Staff

Hi postmadesign,

There isn't much i can say other than refining and develop those tools / features takes time. PS and AI have decades of development under their belt. Affinity Designer still have to complete its first year on the market... We intend to add all that functionality but we can't do it in a year...

To add a node to a path with the Node tool, just click with it over the path. To delete the node, select it and press delete on your keyboard. You can change the type of the corner in the context toolbar when the Node Tool is selected.

ok, thanks. I guess I was not clear about my biggest issue, which is the lack of customising options in AD. This hasn't got  as much to do with the amount of features, which I completely agree are still in V.1

I am not complaining 

It just seems to me that the interface is not very flexible for the user at the moment. Custom shortcuts would be a first step. At least it seems to me that this is a conscious choice on the development side to limit these options, but correct me if I am wrong. If however it is a philosophy of Affinity programs, it might limit the usability of the software....

• Staff

You were clear and i agree with you regarding customisation. But these options take time to implement too. The develop team is also a small group.

Why would we want to limit the flexibility of the software regarding customisation (or features for that matter)? That would not be good neither for us (we use the software too!) nor for Affinity users. Customisable shortcuts are on our roadmap and the rest will come with time too.

thank you MEB, that is encouraging and I am very much looking forward to it.

Your question why one would limit the amount of options is legitimate. It seems to me that some developers prefer to have a clean and functional app, and allowing the users the freedom to customize might mess things up...