You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Windows 10 won't switch app to Designer when opening file

I know this is just one extra mouse click, but...

When I double-click a file (.eps, .svg, .afdesign, etc.), the Affinity Designer tab lights up in the taskbar, but that's all. Windows doesn't switch to Affinity Designer and open up the window with the file. In addition to double-clicking the file, I have to also click the glowing Affinity Designer tab in the taskbar.

How do I make Affinity Designer behave like every other app on my PC, and come into focus when I click one of its associated files? Thank you.

• Staff

Hi ThePixelWhisperer :)

I'm not entirely certain for the reason behind this, I've tested it here and I can confirm I'm seeing the same behaviour as yourself. I've forwarded this question to our developers and will respond here in due course! 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• Staff

We've logged this as a Windows bug, as on a fresh installation of an Affinity app, native Affinity files (ie .afphoto, .afdesign &.afpub) always bring the app into focus when opened from any location. However as soon as you open a non native file (such as a JPEG) the app isn't pulled into focus, and further native files also don't bring the app to focus.

Thanks for your report! :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

3 minutes ago, Dan C said:

We've logged this as a Windows bug, as on a fresh installation of an Affinity app, native Affinity files (ie .afphoto, .afdesign &.afpub) always bring the app into focus when opened from any location. However as soon as you open a non native file (such as a JPEG) the app isn't pulled into focus, and further native files also don't bring the app to focus.

Thanks for your report! :)

Wow, such quick service. Sweet! Best of luck with the fix.