You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

OK, textframe in text?

14 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

That does not seem like it is directly related to the topic we're discussing here.

I don't agree in this case. This topic develops to be kind of experimental because of the variety of possible issues with pinned objects. It would not be useful to start for any issue a new thread, also it would demand a lot more time to document each separately.

I also had one AfPub crash with my recent trials posted above when I tried to copy/paste an existing text frame incl. artistic text pin into a new document. Instead of repeating that and documenting I preferred to continue in a different way with new created objects. Nevertheless, the crash was related to pinning issues which aren't yet known in their total amount but rather still get collected here.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

12 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Yes, possibly. Good point. But it reduces the referred page number to one of 3 possible fields, as are current, next and previous. It would not work for a larger distance which results by more text or added images in between or if a paragraph which contains a referrer might get cut/copied to a very different point in the document.

It works for any distance, because it is the "Next Frame" of the inserted text frame (the small one that just contains the frame number), not the next frame of the frame it's pinned to.

So, we have two new small frames, that are linked. The first one has the "next frame" number, which refers to where the second frame is located. In my sample file, the first frame is on page one, and the second on page 4. But the second frame could have been on page 100, or 400, or whatever.

However, cutting the text which contains the referrer or the referred-to frame will cause problems, and require reestablishing the links between those two new frames.

Additional thoughts:

1. You could create these two linked frames, and save them as an asset. That would make it easier to create more sets of references.
  2. You could even refer to the location of a table or image, but rather than pinning the referred-to frame inline in text, you could group it with the image or table.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

6 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

It works for any distance, because it is the "Next Frame" of the inserted text frame (the small one that just contains the frame number), not the next frame of the frame it's pinned to.

Indeed, Genious !
(sorry I haven't noticed your smart link solution before)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1