You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

OK, textframe in text?

EDIT: in the small frame the text can set on the frame below!

Hi, please have a look to the attachments.

First shows the frame (next Frame number) as it should in a line with the main text.

Second, if the function integrate into text is activ the frame runs up. It is for the frame itself is to high which is not to make smaller, isn´t? 

What is to do? Thx. lars

tr1.thumb.jpeg.7d887f1d92596fe56065057b9cce292f.jpeg tr2.thumb.jpeg.9d9101cd560d925e214924e4fdf92168.jpeg

all Aff 2.2: Capture One+ 23 pro; MacBook Pro, OSX 10.15.7,  Fuji X-Pro2 

• Staff

Hi larsh :)

15 hours ago, larsh said:

Second, if the function integrate into text is activ the frame runs up. It is for the frame itself is to high which is not to make smaller, isn´t? 

This is due to how the Inline in Text function differs from Pinning.

When pinning the text object (first screenshot) you still have full control over the placement of this text box, meaning you can line up the baseline of the text with your main text body.

When placing the text frame Inline in Text (second screenshot) the text frame itself is snapped to the baseline, meaning your text will appear slightly higher than your main body text.

99e3fb0d90027976ba8074ee8c88f924.gif

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Ja, thanks, Dan. That was the first problem. The second was that the included frame lies over the next word (see left screenshot [...]uch...) . So the second setting is needed: the word: "auch" is moved (in this case to the next raw) a fixed distance to the included frame. Sometimes this included frame with the page-number must be big, instead of "53" it could change to "153". And the distance to the line of the raw must closed by setting the charakter to the baseline of the frame. Is there a way with more dynamik? 1. make a frame (and the other one as goal; here p. 53), 2. include the first frame in a raw/ line. And all the rest is done by afpub? Set the character to the baseline, get the place between words as it is needed, if 53 or 1053. 

First I looked to a way to say the big textframe: write the words in the main text beside the included frame not overwrite somewhat (as: auch). I know that by my writing programm with frames. But I did not find this function (I only play around). Regards, lars

• Staff

Could you please provide a copy of your document so I can investigate this further here? You can upload this to the following link if you wish for this file to be kept private :) 

https://www.dropbox.com/request/2RTS8boObGSPHOClXRu0

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

• Staff

My sincerest apologies for the delayed response Lars.

Rather than using Pinning or Inline objects, I think using a simple text wrapping on this object will provide the best results in your document, as this will allow for greater control of the object, allowing you to control where it goes within your main paragraph, and how much text it shows after the object before the next line.

Please see my following screen recording -

I hope this helps!

7 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Rather than using Pinning or Inline objects, I think using a simple text wrapping on this object will provide the best results in your document, as this will allow for greater control of the object, allowing you to control where it goes within your main paragraph, and how much text it shows after the object before the next line.

But what happens to the added object when other text is added to the body? Doesn't the object then sit in the wrong place as this isn't linked to a particular position in the text?

21 minutes ago, Dan C said:

I think using a simple text wrapping on this object will provide the best results

Dan, I guess larsh wants the object with page number following the text flow.

Possibly using an Artistic Text frame (which auto-sizes with content) + inline pin + pin borders will work (though the right border appear to be a little buggy when the objects width changes):

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Hi, Hilltop, Tomaso, that works fine if you active what I show below RED above (not the arrow). The small frame runs with the point in the text. 

Dan, thanks, I found the way. What I not found was the field: Textumbruch (pinning?) to show a picture to make a distance to the text, as Tomaso shows it now. But generally I think it could be simpler the next update. How to find, that the text in the small frame shall set: below... Reg. lars

tr2.thumb.jpeg.9d9101cd560d925e214924e4fdf92168.jpeg.48ba8c645a1cfec778eae61e644da36f.jpeg

1 hour ago, larsh said:

Hi, Hilltop, Tomaso, that works fine if you active what I show below RED above (not the arrow). (...)

Dan, thanks, I found the way. What I not found was the field: Textumbruch (pinning?) to show a picture to make a distance to the text, as Tomaso shows it now.

@larsh, with pinning ("Anpinnen / nicht: "Textumbruch") it is like with all buttons in the tool bar: each of them has either an according studio panel you can open via the 'View' menu, or has an according menu or sub-menu item in a menu of the app menu bar. None of the buttons is in the toolbar only. So, if you miss options for a function in the tool bar you might check the menus or panels. You even can work without the toolbar at all (opt-cmd-T) and still have access to all functions.

13 minutes ago, larsh said:

Where is the "character/ pinning" menue as you show it above in German?

28 minutes ago, thomaso said:

@larsh, with pinning ("Anpinnen / nicht: "Textumbruch")

• Staff
2 hours ago, Hilltop said:

Doesn't the object then sit in the wrong place as this isn't linked to a particular position in the text?

Thanks Hilltop - I hadn't considered that, my apologies!

Wounderful, hide in STUDIO. Is there a way to make the pinned frame dynamic, so that it grows if the page number grows? To think one has to do this all 100 times or more... Happy day! Best, lars

Hi, Tomaso. That´s not I want to ask.

If text is written in the pinned frame it should look as attachment 0. (why it is marked more than the frame?)

0.thumb.jpeg.e18f8b86b9dc3b1b28195cdfdcbf5991.jpeg

If then the page 13 is moved to 103 the pinned frame is to small and an empty place comes up (att. 1).

1.thumb.jpeg.0ff4026e1a167a83bf9c56ee9b7b6ec2.jpeg

So, this frame must be set big enough to take: (S. 103). But then the first position (13) has a distance to the following text (att. 2) as long as the pinned frame is. 

A dynamic pinned frame should become bigger itself if the page is moved and the number grows and the following characters should be moved too. Hope it is explained ok now. Is there a mistake in what I see?

Nice day, lars

PS:  (artistic frame etc. I didn´t find even in the english menue). To set the new page number by hand is terrible if very often to do.

2.thumb.jpeg.438ce05acd8b7790e0e8a62f99f4deb0.jpeg

4 hours ago, larsh said:

PS:  (artistic frame etc. I didn´t find even in the english menue)

Es ist ein Werkzeug. Auf deutsch "Grafiktext". Die damit erstellten Textrahmen passen ihre Größe dem Inhalt automatisch an.

It does work to get the pinned object size auto-adjusted with an artistic text frame as pinned inline object.
If you place a space key in front of and behind you don't need to set an additional border in the pinning panel.

In the screencast I create an artistic text, place it, pin it and jump down to page 100. On page 2 and 101 you see a similar object in red, which was created in same way but on document page 2, then copied to 101; this pinned object has set a border to its left and right.

Unfortunately the inline feature reacts on some changes to the pinned object quite buggy concerning UI and/or page view redraw. For instance when I altered the pinned object (e.g. text or border) the UI appeared confused with either wrong values and/or wrong look on page. Also when I unpin the artistic text it always changes text size or/and font width.  – To fix such issues it helped most often, not always, to Save and Reopen the document. I did not include the bugs in my screencast to avoid confusion but I assume one can easily experience such issues with changing properties or text of the pinned object on the master page or on page 2 or 101. An obvious Ui bug for instance is the pin icon on p. 101 which shows a float marker instead an inline.

Here is the .afpub to the screenscast below v457 inline border artistic text.afpub

5 hours ago, larsh said:

A dynamic pinned frame should become bigger itself if the page is moved and the number grows and the following characters should be moved too. Hope it is explained ok now. Is there a mistake in what I see?

The mistakes in what you see is one point, and mentioned above. But possibly there is a mistake in your concept of using auto-page-numbers: I might not right understand how you want to use such an inline page number. It always shows the page number of the current page, so it is not possible to use it like you would with a footnote feature for instance. If you place it somewhere to refer to a different, specific page which will change during work then it will change its number different than expected. For instance you can not use such to refer on page 100 to page 12 and get this "12" auto-actualized when the referred text moves on page 13.

Afpub is broken now. Restart mac does not help. Is there a file to delete to start it new? It starts, a moment later it is gone... May be the only file .afpub is this one v457... I deleted it now. All the same.

8 minutes ago, larsh said:

Afpub is broken now. Restart mac does not help. Is there a file to delete to start it new? It starts, a moment later it is gone... May be the only file .afpub is this one v457... I deleted it now. All the same.

That does not seem like it is directly related to the topic we're discussing here. I suggest creating a new topic.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt. No, it is my own file in which I tried to use the artistic frame. The backup file works. Is there a way to read out the text from this damaged file? Thx. lars

1 hour ago, thomaso said:

For instance you can not use such to refer on page 100 to page 12 and get this "12" auto-actualized when the referred text moves on page 13. 

You can, but you need to use a trick.

Create two small linked text frames. The first one will have the page number, and possibly a "." if you need one. For the page number, use the Fields panel to insert the "Next Frame" from the Continuation section.

Place the first frame, pinned inline with the text, where you want the reference, such as "See page ". You would pin this frame inline after the word "page".

Move the second frame (which is empty) to the place where you want the reference, and pin it floating to the text on that page.

So, if the first frame is on page 1, and the second frame is on page 5, then on page 1 you end up with "See page 5." If the text where the second frame is pinned moves to page 6, the number in the first frame will automatically change.

Here's an example. The reference is on page 1, and refers to page 4.

page-link.afpub

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 minutes ago, larsh said:

Hi Walt. No, it is my own file in which I tried to use the artistic frame. The backup file works. Is there a way to read out the text from this damaged file? Thx. lars

Sorry, but in my opinion if you want that to get the proper attention, it needs its own topic. Even if it's the file you were using for this discussion, it's a different problem. Recovering the damaged file is not related to the discussion of how to have a text frame in another frame.

-- Walt
PC:

1 minute ago, walt.farrell said:

"Next Frame"

Yes, possibly. Good point. But it reduces the referred page number to one of 3 possible fields, as are current, next and previous. It would not work for a larger distance which results by more text or added images in between or if a paragraph which contains a referrer might get cut/copied to a very different point in the document.

However, I'd like to hear how larsh planned to use this option. Maybe my guess was wrong and it works for him.