You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

• Staff

Hello cadobir,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

To transform a selection, enter in Quick mask mode (press Q), change to the Move tool and scale/rotate/skew the selection dragging the bounding box control handles.

To warp the selection, enter in Quick Mask mode (press Q), change to the Warp Mesh Tool, distort the selection, click Apply on the context toolbar, and quit Quick Mask mode.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

It would be nice to have special a transform mode for selections. Pixel perfect rectangular selections are very difficult in Affinity Photo. Well, I can zoom in, but moving the mouse while Affinity draws the marquee tends to very slow scrolling. It would also be helpful to be able to move the not finished selection by hitting the space bar like Photoshop or the screenshot tool from OS X does.

Hi philmarklew,

No, Affinity Designer doesn't have a Quick Mask mode. It does the same type of transformations directly on vector objects, but not on pixel selections without distorting the image unless you create a new empty layer.

Can you please clarify the part about " not on pixel selections without distorting the image unless you create a new empty layer"?

• Staff

If you open an image, go to Pixel Persona, draw a pixel selection marquee and transform it using the Move Tool, you will also affect the content of the selected area (besides the pixel selection itself). If you create a new layer and select it, you can transform the pixel selection using the Move Tool without affecting the original image layer, so you are able to transform just the pixel selection.

Any plan to make it allow to transform the selection without the Quick mask mode. The red colors is really disturbing and do not allow precise work..

PS: I gave a try to Affinity over PS today again. Unfortunately, Affinity just does not do the job yet. Make it possible. CS6 will soon not work on current MacOS anymore..

Problems are: Auto selection in PS is just so much better, I can transform a selection. Layer transformation is much more better and intuitive in PS.

multi layer tiffs are not supported, it makes the software useless in professional workflow.

Thanks

Hello cadobir,

To transform a selection, enter in Quick mask mode (press Q), change to the Move tool and scale/rotate/skew the selection dragging the bounding box control handles.

To warp the selection, enter in Quick Mask mode (press Q), change to the Warp Mesh Tool, distort the selection, click Apply on the context toolbar, and quit Quick Mask mode.

--
Nicolas DET
Fotografie
Les gens sont la clef

Event, Porträt, People, Hochzeit, ... Live
http://www.nicolas-det.eu

https://www.instagram.com/nicolas_det_fotografie/

• Staff

Hi nicoppc,

"Any plan to make it allow to transform the selection without the Quick mask mode. The red colors is really disturbing and do not allow precise work.."

You can select other mode rather than the red overlay from the arrow on the right of the Quick Mask button on the main toolbar.

Alternatively, to transform a pixel selection without entering Quick Mask mode, create your selection in an empty layer and transform it using the Move Tool then select the original layer.

Layered TIFF support is coming soon.

• 1 month later...

Hey @MEB are selection transforms planned for the future or actively being developed?

This is an essential feature and the workarounds suggested here seem overly complicated for what should be a very basic task. Even GIMP has selection transforms.

• 6 months later...

I agree with forum members, Affinity seriously needs Transform Selection feature, ideally combined with popup that shows selection's dimensions near mouse arrow and ideally combined with permanent width/height of the selection shown in the Info panel (now just when mouse button is pressed).

Scrubby zooming would be nice too, but I guess P$ spoiled us... :)

• 11 months later...
On 6/24/2015 at 3:11 PM, MEB said:

Hello cadobir,

Yes this works for me up to a point. Once the object to transform is selected with the node points available to move, the button in the context toolbar to convert the node to angular des not work! Pulling in the handles to to the nodes is practically impossible. Could you please advise me on this as it is critical for my work.

• 2 months later...

OK, so from what I can tell, I can't just select a portion of an image and then transform it. (Ctrl+t) in Photoshop. Am I missing something? This is a pretty core tool and I'm really trying to get my team to switch to Affinity, but we just can't do it without core pieces like this. 

I can't wait to be taught how to find this tool.

Thanks!!

• 3 years later...

@EdTech I was trying to do this today, three years after you mentioned it. It would be ideal to be able to make a pixel selection and hit control t, like in clip studio or adobe, and warp and modify that selection only. This should be standard in both photo and designer pixel persona. Three years, and still waiting and hoping it gets added. It seemed so standard I was googling and searching for it everywhere online. I had to switch over from designer to photo and use the warp function that did not work as well