You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Separate palettes for paragraph and text styles

A minor request: could we please have separate palettes for the paragraph and character styles? This gives more flexibility to arrange the interface for quickly going through a document and tagging various paragraphs and sections of text without having to constantly scroll up and down a single palette. 

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

Don't you already have that with the style pulldown boxes at the top of the Paragraph and Character panels?

image.png.e6b492f487b4a7d5b9fc2442aecd3ab0.png

image.png.2a7feeeff342382b303584cf054406c9.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

38 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Don't you already have that with the style pulldown boxes at the top of the Paragraph and Character panels?

Different fish kettle - this is for speed of formatting so you want a couple of open palettes at so you can select paragraphs or text then single-click tag the selection with either a paragraph style or character style, usually one (set para) then the other (highlight some text). A dropdown takes at least two clicks, and if you have 50 styles or so a shedload of scrolling on top. It's not the ability to do something, it the ability to do specific things quickly. Despite my resentment of Adobe, you can certainly learn a lot from them and interface flexibility is something they've done well with (as they should, with a huge user base and an army of developers). Cheers!

Windows 7 & 10 64-bit, Dual Xeon workstation(s) 64gb RAM, and single i7 laptop 32gb RAM

1 hour ago, AndyQ said:

tagging various paragraphs and sections of text without having to constantly scroll up and down a single palette

Again: +1.

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Don't you already have that with the style pulldown boxes

No Walt, this is meant to modify existing portions of text, not to apply some paragraph styles to the selected text and some characters style to parts of this same text. If your paragraph style begin by A and your character style begin by Z…

Here some examples (I won't count the styles), for a book with french and english texts, a small magazine, and a more complexe one:

2019-09-03_book_FR-EN.thumb.jpg.a9af1ff6791f52ad0b618433b05af195.jpg2019-09-03_small_publication.thumb.jpg.c8471bb6fc620d0498480f38cb806706.jpg2019-09-03_magazine.thumb.jpg.9a84d32d938684469a5d137766ef6dbd.jpg

Usually, I would organize them in folder depending of sections where they need to be used (magazine), and I would have paragraph and character panels on a second screen. On ID, I would have next styles, object styles and a script to force apply styles from the object style informations, or from the 1st selected paragraph to the following ones.

With APub, I need to scroll a lot up and down to find the styles I want to apply, or use shortcuts, but there's a limit to those, since they're mainly used for usual styles in all documents and our capacity to memorize them.

Thanks for the explanations of the requirement. That makes sense.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1