You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

RAW editing abilities MISSING or....

Using Adobe LightRoom & Adobe Camera RAW I have access to several features for aligning my image, straightening, distortion controls, selective color tweaking, white & black, THE LIST GOES ON. Does Affinity Photo have the same tools for editing RAW images?  I simply do not see the breadth of tools  as I would have in Adobe LightRoom or Adobe Camera RAW - am I missing them???? :S 

I can do RAW editing in Adobe Camera RAW & continue my edits using Affinity Photo however I want to TOTALLY & unequivocally FIRE Adobe - I am sick and tired of the monopoly they have had for far too long in the photo editing arena. 

Does Affinity Photo for iOS have the same abilities as Adobe LightRoom or Adobe Camera RAW?  Are the RAW editing abilities of Affinity Photo the same for iOS & desktop? 

Thank you,

Jeremy Cowell McMahon B|

Affinity Photo has many of the things you mention but not all of them. See the tutorial videos about RAW editing to get a feel for some of it. 

On the other side of the coin, since you talk already about a blended workflow, your camera manufacturer very likely has a RAW management/editing tool specifically designed for the type of RAW you're generating. One workflow would be to use Affinity Photo for everything it can do and fall back to the manufacturer's tools (for example, Digital Photo Professional from Canon if you shoot that gear) for the times when Affinity Photo is insufficient.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

I have a Sony A6000 & Nikon D7100 if I’m not mistaken the one time I used their RAW tools I nearly upchucked :51_scream:  

Perhaps I will use Adobe Camera RAW for the time being and just save the RAW file as a TIFF & edit in Affinity Photo :27_sunglasses:

SIDE NOTE: I want to disagree with the Senior Member who said to watch the tutorials before asking questions on the forum. I think asking questions even if they are addressed brings the community closer, also it helps reaffirm and solidify learned knowledge when you explain it to others. I find myself gaining a deeper understanding and also moving towards unconscious   Competence when I answer questions from members in various forums. The videos are good but they are less personal than having conversations with fellow affinity users 

Jeremy Cowell McMahon   

15 minutes ago, ClarityDynamic said:

I want to disagree with the Senior Member who said to watch the tutorials before asking questions on the forum.

@ClarityDynamic Where did someone say that? That seems an unfortunate response. 

Unless you're referring to me and my link to the tutorials (I couldn't quickly find a shortcut to the RAW-specific ones), in which case I have to apologize because that wasn't my intent at all -- my intent was to point you to a resource that could far more completely explain what was there than I could in a single post.

https://bmb.photos | Focus: The unexpected, the abstract, the extreme on screen, paper, & other physical outputTools: macOS (Primary: Ventura, MBP2018), Canon (Primary: 5D3), iPhone (Primary: 14PM), Nikon Film Scanners, Epson Printers

This post by Patrick

It wasn’t you it was this post. I think the videos and YouTube tutorials are very beneficial. Also it’s annoying when people ask the same questions time and time again however it gives different people that chance to answer & build relationships and solidify their own knowledge IMHO B|

5 hours ago, ClarityDynamic said:

This post by Patrick

It wasn’t you it was this post. I think the videos and YouTube tutorials are very beneficial. Also it’s annoying when people ask the same questions time and time again however it gives different people that chance to answer & build relationships and solidify their own knowledge IMHO B|

I believe you’re taking Patrick's comments there out of context and assigning the wrong reason for why he made this simple statement back in June 2017. The community here is now much larger, and we have far more resources and knowledge for answering questions — even the repetitive ones. :)

6 hours ago, ClarityDynamic said:

Does Affinity Photo for iOS have the same abilities as Adobe LightRoom or Adobe Camera RAW?  Are the RAW editing abilities of Affinity Photo the same for iOS & desktop? 

The essential answers to your questions are mostly YES and definitely YES.

While the feature sets of Affinity Photo and the Adobe products are rather different in scope, you will find all the usual essential tools for raw editing within Affinity Photo for iOS and desktop versions. The Adobe products have broader features for processing batches of photos, while Affinity Photo needs to approach them one file at a time.

One of the fantastic things about Photo for iOS and desktop is that they’re built upon the same code base. So their processing capabilities are almost exactly the same.