You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Guide lines to centre photo (Affinity Photo)

Stumped! How do I get the guide line(s) that turn green when centering a photo with snapping turned on as in this video tutorial approx. 5 min 30 secs in? I've seen it in the help manual somewhere but can't find it now. Missing something simple so just point me in the right direction please:$ 

Snapping options: Snap to Spread, and Include Spread Midpoints

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks but didn't work for me so checked (ticked) everything in the in the snapping options and they appeared. If I can get bothered I'll go through all the options to see which ones are relevant. thanks again for the pointer.

Interesting. Maybe something else is also needed, but with my set of options, turning those two on or off enables or disables that particular distance display. (Or, at least, the display I thought you meant :)  There are a lot of options there.) Glad it's working for you now.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, jeffers said:

Thanks but didn't work for me so checked (ticked) everything in the in the snapping options and they appeared. If I can get bothered I'll go through all the options to see which ones are relevant. thanks again for the pointer.

Ticking everything can be counterproductive because depending on the complexity of the document, there can be so many snapping points in the vicinity that it takes the app quite a while to decide which one to use.

But in general, you only need to enable Snap to spread with the snap to midpoint option enabled and/or Snap to margins with its midpoint option enabled to get the results shown in the video. If both (all 4) options are enabled & the margins are different left to right or top to bottom you can still end up with several different midpoint options.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

to both and apologies Walt. Indeed this does work. It seems I had the screen tolerance setting too low in the snap settings....increasing this to 10 in this case and the guide lines are much more prominent. did do a screenshot but didn't export at a high enough quality it seems. But I think you can get the gist of it

Snap centre.jpg