You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher PDF with bleed and crop marks larger than identical PDF in InDesign

Hi there. I have an issue when I export a A4-sized PDF with bleed and crop marks in Publisher. While everything looks great, I noticed that the dimensions of the PDF is larger than that of an otherwise identical PDF made in InDesign. The Publisher document is the larger of the two.

Why is that and is it safe to send the PDF made in Publisher to the printing house? 

What do you mean by larger? The document area itself or everything including crop marks. If the bleed is fine and the document (layout area) you do not have to worry. If you are still worried post the PDF here.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

• 3 months later...

I've been researching this issue myself. Perhaps it has to do with how Publisher places the crop marks in relation to the amount of bleed. See this comparison...

crop_compare.png.733bb89a01a2a5efdb96dc3a452dbaf1.png

Identical document (indicated with magenta line) with 1" bleed (indicated by the cyan) exported out to PDF with selected options to include bleed and crop marks.
Left = Publisher, Right = InDesign

Publisher places the crop marks outside the total bleed area which results in the final PDF dimensions being larger by the length of the crop marks in each dimension. Essentially creating an extra margin. They are positioned correctly and result in the same finished trim.

I prefer the crops to align with the page as in InDesign, I feel it make cutting easier, but maybe it's not a big deal.

• 8 months later...

I am having the same issue. We are trying to move from InDesign to Affinity. When I sent a test file to our printer, he complained about the size of the page: "The bleed size we normally get including the position of the crop marks is different from Affinity, so this means we cannot do a straight replacement of the previous pdf with the Affinity pdf as it imports it in a reduced size."

We use a 5mm bleed. InDesign has 1cm between the edge of the page and the Crop Mark   - Affinity has 1.8cm between the edge of the page and the crop mark thus increasing the overall page size to 23.6 cm as opposed to the InDesign page of 22.2 cm. This is a problem for the printer apparently. Any suggestions welcome

Page Edge   Crop Mark

|  <----------->   __|

1.8cm in Affinity
  1 cm in InDesign

• 4 weeks later...

I have been able to crop the size of the page in Adobe PDF Pro but I would like some way of determining the ultimate page size in Affinity, so I can keep our printer happy. The extra margin that Affinity seems to add to the PDF needs to be able to be modified according to need.

• 8 months later...