You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Overflow should be more visible

Wosven

Hi,

I know it was already improve once, but it's not enough.
The overflow red dot (or triangle for flowing to another frame) is only visible depending of the height of the frame: if we zoom out to create and adjust a new frame, it disappears.

And the level of zoom needed for it to appear can be important! For example, if I need to flow ±325 footnotes on 250 pages, needing sometimes only 1 line at the bottom, I'll have to zoom in/zoom out 500 times!

Second bug with this: it's impossible to find overflow in small frames if the zoom level doesn't allow enough space between the blue nodes of a  frame to display the red dot. Looking for overflow with a zoom of 270% on a document isn't a good workflow.
While in text mode those indicators should be displayed, and perhaps bigger when zooming out, so it's easier to click on them. They should be shown with other tools too, but smaller.

2019-09-01_151224.png.9b5920aa62c2d722ffb39f1046307571.png

I had cut a piece of text and stored it in a text box in the white area outside of the document.

I kept getting messages when trying to export the document that one text box had an overflow -- so I checked every box IN THE DOCUMENT

How was I to know that it was referring to a superfluous item that wasn't going to print anyway?

image.png.0aa4e7f03e65eb3024c6a285452cb687.png

4 hours ago, E9B6 said:

I had cut a piece of text and stored it in a text box in the white area outside of the document.

I kept getting messages when trying to export the document that one text box had an overflow -- so I checked every box IN THE DOCUMENT

How was I to know that it was referring to a superfluous item that wasn't going to print anyway?

image.png.0aa4e7f03e65eb3024c6a285452cb687.png

I had the same problem. I had overflow text in a text frame in my Master page outside my doc bounds on a layer that was turned off. It took me weeks to find that.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Indeed

• "The user interface is supposed to work for me - I am not supposed to work for the user interface."
  • Computer-, operating system- and software agnostic; I am a result oriented professional. Look for a fanboy somewhere else.
  • “When a wise man points at the moon the imbecile examines the finger.” ― Confucius
  • Not an Affinity user og forum user anymore. The software continued to disappoint and not deliver.

For exporting and printing, not only text overflows are irritating, but also missing links, outdated table of contents, etc. As asked for in a different post, I would suggest to include all of these things in a Preflight check dialog, where potential problems are not only listed, but where the user can also click on each problem and be transported to the object that introduces that particular problem.

This preflight should be available in a menu, so the user can manually start it, and it should by automatically run at export/print, with the possibility to correct the problems, or just proceed anyway (if no problems occur, nothing should pop up).

Andreas Weidner