You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to import Master pages from another project?

I'm not sure what you mean by "refreshing" a file, but renaming a Publisher document should not have done anything to its Master Pages.

In any case, there is no facility to easily copy a Master Page from one document to another. You will need to:

1. Create a Master Page of the proper size in the new document.
  2. Select the Master Page in the old document.
  3. Open the Layers panel in the old document and copy the layers.
  4. Paste them onto the Master Page in the new document.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:
  • Open the Layers panel in the old document and copy the layers.
  • Paste them onto the Master Page in the new document

Yes, I was afraid someone would give me that answer... Will it be possible, later, to "import" all the Master Pages later, much like we import styles?

8 minutes ago, Castle Al said:

Will it be possible, later, to "import" all the Master Pages later, much like we import styles?

That's certainly a feature that has been requested. Only Serif would know if or when it might be delivered, and typically they don't comment on that.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

I also notice an interesting phenomenon: in usual files, pages get blank when changing Master on pages with text. Instead, on the one I saved-as, the Master change acts like a layer with the correct margins added over the other, and text remains active (not as some PDF or something).

• 1 year later...

Yes, I know this topic is 2 years old. So a perfect place for my question.

I am coverting a couple of pdf’s to Publisher.  The results are a rather good file but no styles and no masterpages.

Styles I can import from a specific made file.

Master pages is not possible, no matter what I try. I searched lot bujt did not dound a solution.

Then I tried the above workflow on one masterpage.

Only the page number was in the new master page.

All the guides were not copied. I did not checked my other master pages.

This is ridiculous.

People use software like this for a standardization. So do I. And it is not possible to use the most important part of that standardization in more of the same kind of documents.

Why???

8 hours ago, FredVN said:

Yes, I know this topic is 2 years old. So a perfect place for my question.

I am coverting a couple of pdf’s to Publisher.  The results are a rather good file but no styles and no masterpages.

Styles I can import from a specific made file.

Master pages is not possible, no matter what I try. I searched lot bujt did not dound a solution.

Then I tried the above workflow on one masterpage.

Only the page number was in the new master page.

All the guides were not copied. I did not checked my other master pages.

This is ridiculous.

People use software like this for a standardization. So do I. And it is not possible to use the most important part of that standardization in more of the same kind of documents.

Why???

Document > Add Pages from File... allows bringing in the Master Pages as well as the regular document pages, I think. (Can't check right now.)

-- Walt
PC:

This was one of the things I tried before my post. You see only the normal pages to add (I left one normal page in my file with masters and styles).

So unfortunately no option.

Weird, I think we need to import Pages which have the Masters applied in order to get the masters imported when using Add Pages from file... So if you have three master pages you need to add three pages with each having a different Master Page applied. Not 100% sure about this.

Also note that the first page will not show the guides if there are any. And the Pages and Master Pages need to be the same size for the guides to show up.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

2 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

Weird, I think we need to import Pages which have the Masters applied in order to get the masters imported when using Add Pages from file... So if you have three master pages you need to add three pages with each having a different Master Page applied. Not 100% sure about this.

That's my understanding, but I can't confirm until I get to a machine with Publisher installed. (I'm playing around on a laptop I just repurposed to run Linux, after getting a new laptop the other day that runs Windows.)

1 hour ago, FredVN said:

This was one of the things I tried before my post. You see only the normal pages to add

Correct. The dialog only allows adding document pages. But if you add a document page that has Masters applied, the Masters come with it, as I recall.

-- Walt
PC:

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I can't confirm until I get to a machine with Publisher installed. (I'm playing around on a laptop I just repurposed to run Linux,...)

< deliberately obtuse on>

Aren't there Linux versions of the Affinity Applications?

< deliberately obtuse off>

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

I had a problem with this some time ago....I could not see a way to import a Master or extract a page into another document. Until I realised you can do it in reverse...Set up new document and add a page from another document. With Masters I resorted to just copying the layer containing master elements and pasting the results into a Master page of a new document...then you can just apply it to subsequent pages 

An imported page containing a 'Master' Element gets imported as a new page and a master page 

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 2.2402
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

First of all sorry for the late reply, due to the time zone I live in.

And thanks everybody for your reply. It works now, thanks to the advice.

My workflow.

Basic style document

• I copied a large document with my specific styles and master pages to a file “Styles”.
  • I deleted all the pages.
  • For every master page I added a page with that master.
  • Save Styles.
  • These are all of my personal preferences. When they change, I will change them in this document too.

Use

• Open a pdf. That’s how it started because a pdf has no styles or master pages.
  • Go to the end of the file.
  • Add pages from file
  • Choose Styles
  • All pages and master pages are added.

In this file are also all my text styles, which can be imported under "Text styles".

As a test I also made an A5 document and imported the A4 Masters. Perfect. (Of course because of the %).

But alltogether for me still a bit primitive, but it works.

• 2 years later...
On 9/3/2019 at 4:45 AM, walt.farrell said:

...there is no facility to easily copy a Master Page from one document to another. You will need to:

1. Create a Master Page of the proper size in the new document.
  2. Select the Master Page in the old document.
  3. Open the Layers panel in the old document and copy the layers.
  4. Paste them onto the Master Page in the new document.

Hey Walt, you are APPARENTLY... The MAN around here! LOL.

This is now the 3rd time that I have dug into the archives of this forum to hopefully find an answer to a question that I really didn't feel like posting - and BAMM, you have already answered it for me once again.

You are a wealth of knowledge and for that sir, I am most grateful! Lol.

WB

You're welcome, Wayne, and I am but one of many :)                

Note that the subsequent discussion (some much later) also mentioned Document > Add Pages from File which will also copy the Master Pages needed, which does provide one way of copying them that may be easier than the method I mentioned before.

-- Walt
PC: