You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Font Size

Hello:

This may be a bug or just an oversight.

If there is type in a paragraph that is say, 34 pts. And, you replace a word with a different size type, say 14 pts, and you select all, typically you would expect to see nothing for the type size (because there are two different sizes selected), but AD displays 34 pts for all.

Screenshot attached...

Thanks,

Screen Shot 2019-09-02 at 12.07.20 PM.png

As I see it (on Windows) if the text is selected then both the Context Toolbar and Character panel have blank for the point size when there are multiples.

But when no text is selected (as in the screenshot in the first post in this topic) the value displayed is the last value set, or the value at the position of the text cursor. And that is also true for both the Context Toolbar and the Character panel.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

1 hour ago, Oval said:

even if selected:

If the text was selected wouldn't it be highlighted?

(But since Sean has said there's a Mac bug, I'm not sure that it matters.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

46 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If the text was selected wouldn't it be highlighted?

Thanks, the whole box is selected (no cursor placed) here, but perhaps Serif simply forgot to update the values. Not really a problem.

3 minutes ago, Oval said:

Thanks, the whole box is selected (no cursor placed) here, but perhaps Serif simply forgot to update the values. Not really a problem.

Try it with the text selected, not just the text frame. If there's no text selected, then the panels and Context Toolbar just (correctly) show the last-used values, I believe.

-- Walt
PC:

11 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

then the panels and Context Toolbar just (correctly) show the last-used values

OK, we don’t know where this is written. We believe a selected box with different values should “show” all or no text sizes.

33 minutes ago, Oval said:

OK, we don’t know where this is written. We believe a selected box with different values should “show” all or no text sizes.

I suppose that could work as long as there is no text cursor active.

However, today it's the last size you used in the text frame, and is also the beginning size for the next text frame you draw. If it were blank you wouldn't know what the size for the next frame will be.

-- Walt
PC:

7 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

is also the beginning size for the next text frame you draw

No, in the example it is not. You will not start with the displayed 7.6 pt. So it does not make sense that (the last used size) is displayed. It can cause users to mistakenly use wrong sizes.

3 hours ago, Oval said:

No, in the example it is not. You will not start with the displayed 7.6 pt. So it does not make sense that (the last used size) is displayed. It can cause users to mistakenly use wrong sizes.

OK; that's how it worked for me, so something is different in your file or the sequence of actions you took. Thanks.

-- Walt
PC:

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

We believe this issue has been fixed in 1.8.0  [Publisher beta currently available, others to follow]

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon