You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Discretionary ligatures not available in Designer (Mac)

Hi guys!

I just purchased a nice font family today, but found that the (very cool) discretionary ligatures are NOT available in the glyph browser? There is a tick-box there, but greyed out. As is "Alternates / Slashed zero" for instance, another feature I know the fonts have.

I know the glyphs are present in the font file, because I can view them in my font manager and more importantly, use them in Photoshop (here they are categorized under "Discretionary ligatures" when filtering in the drop-down).

Anyone know if this can be caused by a format issue with the fonts, a bug or non-supported feature in Designer or anything else funky? (I have other typefaces where I can access a huge extra set of glyphs, for instance ITC AvantGarde Gothic, but here they are categorized as "Private use area".)

For now, I exported the text as a PNG from Photoshop and placed in Designer, but that sure is an ugly workaround... :)

Thanks!

1 hour ago, airwhale said:

Anyone know if this can be caused by a format issue with the fonts, a bug or non-supported feature in Designer or anything else funky?

It’s difficult to offer helpful advice without knowing which particular font family you’re trying to use.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

UPDATE: after talking with the font designer, we did identify one case of user error. Text needs to be set in UPPER CASE only. Mine was written in lower case, the switched to upper (or possibly small-caps) in the "Typography" panel. Once that was corrected, the "contextual alternates" radio button was available for selection. Once selected, it mostly worked, but a few of the glyps was still not available. (I have not tested them all.)

Also, none of them show up in the glyph panel either.

Closer, but I'm not lighting that cigar just yet.

• 1 month later...

So, I'm back and need to borrow your hat @MikeW

Silly mistake on my part - in the Glyph Browser, there is a "hamburger-menu" that I had overlooked or forgotten about. Choosing the "Unicode plus Alternates" option instead of "Unicode" fixed the display issue entirely. As it would... (I'm telling myself an update changed that selection, it's just easier that way.)

Sorry to mistake this feature for a bug :)

Screenshot 2019-10-09 at 12.11.27.png