You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Visible text disappears when pulled over Object

DBerlin81

I created a "torn paper" object in Designer, inserted it into my Publisher file via copy+paste. I want the text field, which is the top layer, to appear at the top of the torn paper item, but the text disappears when I drag the text field over the paper. I am still new to Affinity and my guess is that I am not yet aware of a necessary setting?  o.O Thanks in advance for helpful replies. 

I did check to see if I could find a similar question in the forum. Please only reply if you have a suggestion as to what I can try to make the text show.

Text field issue 01.jpg

Text field issue 02.jpg

Edited by DBerlin81
posting additional file

It seems to be, that you are using a baseline grid for the document and the content of the text frame might be set to align to baseline grid. Tell the text frame in Text frame panel to Ignore Baseline Grid.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

31 minutes ago, Pauls said:

Can you post the sample file so we can investigate please ?

I added the .afpub

33 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

It seems to be, that you are using a baseline grid for the document and the content of the text frame might be set to align to baseline grid. Tell the text frame in Text frame panel to Ignore Baseline Grid.

But what if I do want all text in the document to align to the grid? Also, I haven't heard of the baseline grid affecting visibility of an item. But then I haven't yet heard a lot of things because I am just an advanced beginner. I did check if the "ignore baseline Grid" setting would do the trick and it had no effect.
I have a little bit of experience with InDesign & Co. and I have only started using Affinity last Friday. I'm completely thrilled with this software but still at a loss about some of the features. 

I don't know if this is relevant, but it is a master page. From what I know, that shouldn't matter though. 

Edited by DBerlin81

You had a text wrap set to the grey area, so the text jumped to the bottom of the page. Remove the text wrap for the grey area or set the Text frame to Ignore Text Wrap.

P.S.: Forget what I said about Baseline Grid. :$

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

16 minutes ago, Joachim_L said:

You had a text wrap set to the grey area, so the text jumped to the bottom of the page. Remove the text wrap for the grey area or set the Text frame to Ignore Text Wrap.

P.S.: Forget what I said about Baseline Grid. :$

Oh wow. :$ I have been trying out all sorts of functions and completely forgot that I had done that. Thanks!!! 

I knew it happened to me a while ago. Yes, text can vanish due to settings of the Baseline Grid. See the picture. baseline grid set 14pt space, text frame with Arial 12pt and height of 3,8 mm. If you accidently move the text frame between the baseline grid lines the text vanishes. You can not see the reason why, until you deselect the text frame. When you deselect, the text frame has now the red indicators. Increase the height of the text frame and the text is visible again.

Rare case but possible.

invisible-textframe.jpg

------

Just to add a similar experience that I have had many times over... The Arrange/Move dialogue often has to be invoked to move a (text or other) object into visibility: right-click object "Arrange/Move/Move To Front" will do the trick. This can also happen with any object, say, a picture frame with a picture inside the frame. I also overlap pictures sometimes and so I use the "Move Back One" and other useful commands to handle that.