You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Geometry styles for text frames - sort of

I have a list of missing features that I would like to see added at some point. One of these is the ability to make multiple text frames on different pages have the same size, position, fill etc - and to give them a style so they can all be easily changed. AfPub doesn't have this as such but I have found a pretty good workaround. I'm sharing this here in case others aren't aware of it.

I have a 12 page booklet with each page having just 1 text frame. I've been lazy & just drawn out and filled the frames in an unstructured sort of way.  I decide to have all the frames the same size, position, stroke & fill. This is what I do. I create a master page containing just a single text frame with the required properties. I then apply that master page to the pages with the text frames on. I make sure the new masters don't replace any existing ones - they are additional ones. On each page I select the text frame with text in and click on the top left text flow icon and then inside the master page frame. This reflows the text into the master page frame. Then delete the original frame. It sounds a chore but it can be done pretty quickly. If I want to change the size, position, formatting etc of all these frames I just select one of them, make the changes, select the master page frame in the layers panel and chose "linked".

Windows 10 Pro, I5 3.3G PC 16G RAM

I'm not sure what the "missing features" are. If you were to start with a Master Page, instead of your unstructured approach, then everything would work as you desire from the beginning, wouldn't it?

By the way, you can add a Style from a Text Frame by selecting the frame, then in the Styles panel use the hamburger (settings) menu to "Add Style from Selection". That will pick up the Text Frame properties along with the font, font size, etc. You can then apply that Style to another Text Frame (which should be empty at the time if you don't also want to change the characteristics of the text within the frame).

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

24 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

I'm not sure what the "missing features" are. If you were to start with a Master Page, instead of your unstructured approach, then everything would work as you desire from the beginning, wouldn't it?

That's true, except sometimes customers change their minds and might go from an unstructured layout to a highly uniform one. Also, I think the Styles menu is not up to scratch for this kind of thing. It's not updateable and it doesn't pick up size and position.

9 minutes ago, MickRose said:

That's true, except sometimes customers change their minds and might go from an unstructured layout to a highly uniform one. Also, I think the Styles menu is not up to scratch for this kind of thing. It's not updateable and it doesn't pick up size and position.

True, for size and position you need Master Pages. But Styles cover everything else.

Also, Assets are useful. Make a Text Frame like you like it (in terms of properties except position) and save it as an Asset. When you need another frame, just drage it from the Assets panel. Then all you need is to set the position, which you might do with Guides set on a Master Page.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

The point I'm making is that the use of master pages for text frames can provide a lot of structure. Quark has Item Styles and ID CC has something similar. Maybe Serif should move this useful facility away from Master Pages and create a new Studio called Text Frame Styles or something.