You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[Designer] Question about PDF export

I need quick help on this one, because i'm on a deadline, and have used only Photoshop before, never Affinity. :)

I'm about to export a PDF for print (product packaging). It has different layers - pixel layers for the images and background, and vector layers for the text.

Do i need to merge all pixel layers into a background layer before exporting to PDF, and how can i do that in AfDesigner? Or does the PDF exporter automatically flatten all pixel layers into a background layer?

Hm, it doesn't answer my question though. What happens to the pixel layers, do they get flattened automatically by the PDF exporter? Printers in Germany always want the PDF to have only one background pixel layer, and the rest can be shapes/curves. Trimmarks are not needed.

[EDIT] Temp solution - opened in AfPhoto and merged the layers there.

PDF spec does not indicate that pixel layers should be merged. Usually for printing all objects can be separate.

Flattening a PDF usually means that transparencies are removed by merging transparent areas to a single pixel graphic. You can achieve this by using right PDF export profile, like PDF-X3:2003.

Modern press can take PDFs with transparency, usually.

Of course, your printer knows best what works.

7 hours ago, Fixx said:

PDF export profile, like PDF-X3:2003

Ah, that's the information i'm looking for. Here in Germany print services usually don't allow pixel transparencies, and that's probably the reason most require PDF X3 etc. I didn't know that this is part of the specs. Gonna look into the different PDF profiles.

Thanks for the help!