You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Thousands of extra nodes using geometry functions

Just a thought... :35_thinking:

There are always comments about Designer being slow.  I just ran into a possible cause for some of this.  I had a simple shape I needed in my drawing that was used in 6 places after being created.  It involved a couple shapes and a mask to shape the edges of a blur.  To make the mask I used a couple versions of the shape and did a couple geometry functions.  It wasn't until a few days later that I just happened to look at the mask while in the node tool.  Each one of the six shapes had 1740 extra nodes added by probably the Subtract function.  I can't help but think that there had to be some possible slowing by the addition of over 10,000 unneeded nodes to the drawing.  Especially if this had occurred several times in the complete drawing.

2082630530_ScreenShot2019-09-01at3_26_21PM.png.05358a9dad7fbc485ce2eaf26b577f1c.png

It only took few minutes to delete the 10,000+ unneeded nodes from the 6 shapes.  Once I noticed they existed.  I need to remember to always double check the results of the geometry functions from now on.

Test 1.afdesign

iMac (27-inch, Late 2009) with macOS Sierra

• 3 months later...