You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have used clipping mask function in past but I up-dated to v. 1.7.3.479 and  now the clipped image is not visible.  If I place it on the layer below--hanging out from behind--I see the image but as soon as I clip it, it vanishes.

I repeated a butterfly wing around a circle and in the hole in the center, I want to clip a face (I tried it in PS CS 6 and it worked. The portrait was a smart object and I rasterized it. )

The portrait is of my daughter and is copyrighted to my grandson Will Ross.  I drag the portrait 1513190674_screenshotwings.thumb.JPG.47798cedb0f88afd166731243d4b947e.JPGicon up to the  wings group icon and get the blue line and it is inset as a child layer.Anne_Portraits_003.thumb.jpg.f109339f9a9460dada4ef5336610262a.jpg1513190674_screenshotwings.thumb.JPG.47798cedb0f88afd166731243d4b947e.JPG364645001_WingsPhotoshop.thumb.JPG.980cbdb91c9ef1b741b0daa2d8c9b325.JPG

7 minutes ago, PixelPest said:

Why a mask in this case at all? I mean you can put the photo under all the wings (last in the hierarchy) and erase what´s peeking outside.

Alternatively, if you want to use a mask instead of erasing around the edges, you can mask the photo separately (e.g. cropping it to a circle whose edge sits under the ring of butterflies).

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This project is a beginning proof of concept for future composites and, yes, in this instance I could have done it without the mask but I have ideas for others that will need a clipping mask.

Thanks everyone for such prompt replies and I will try inserting a blank  pixel layer to the group (stokerg).

Would 'Merge Visible' be of use? and would I merge the  Group Layer or  select and group all layers within the group?

On 9/2/2019 at 2:56 AM, stokerg said:

Hi LLM,

Can you try adding a blank pixel layer to the group with the Mask.  We have a bug at the moment with groups and masks but adding a blank pixel layer should make the mask function correctly :) 

I tried  adding a pixel layer and then clipping image  to  that layer.  I tried putting the pixel layer above the group and every other place I could think of.  No luck

I put a filled shape in the center above the group and clipped the portrait to it and that worked but didn't fit the 'hole'. 

Then I  selected the actual 'hole'  in  the center of the group and output as a layer with a mask, but I couldn't clip it or fill it. I've given up for the present  and am moving on to other projects.

Would you let me know when AF fixes the  glitch, please?  I think that then I will start the project from scratch in case I have corrupted the file with all my attempts.

While this project was done on my desktop, ultimately I want to transition all my work to iPad Pro.

On 9/2/2019 at 2:56 AM, stokerg said:

Hi LLM,

Can you try adding a blank pixel layer to the group with the Mask.  We have a bug at the moment with groups and masks but adding a blank pixel layer should make the mask function correctly :) 

wing selected.pdf

I started over today and have a question.  It is my understanding that clipping masks only show where there are pixels.   When I selected the files in my group, I saw that each image is surrounded by a transparent rectangle and the  area that I thought was clear to the background is covered. (See  attachment).  Yesterday I added a shape and clipped  to that.  Today I masked the center and filled it and I could clip to that--but  I don't know where in the stack to place it or if it should go on top of the group.  Would merge all visible (group) be of any use?

• 1 year later...

Trying to do clipping in 1.9 and it still doesn't work. Moving the layer on top of the mask object does nothing and the Layer - Arrange - Move Inside menu is grayed out. Does this simple functionality not work?