You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

[publ 1.7.2.471] Publisher crashes a lot when working with pinned objects

Friksel

Working a lot with Photo, Designer and Publisher I can't remember it crashed, so that must have been a long time ago.

But today I'm working with pinned textframes and it crashes a lot. In say half an hour I already had 5 crashes when working with this pinning.

[edit] It's crashing for example...

• if I move an object closer to it's pinned location. Than suddenly the software just hangs and can only be killed via task manager
  • if I (use mousewheel to) zoom out after setting the pin
  • If I save the file (with ctrl+s) after setting the pin  <<<< THIS IS HAPPING A LOOOOOOT AND SEEMS TO ALWAYS CRASH THE SOFTWARE

It might also have to do that the pinlocation is inside a textframe spanning over multiple pages

On 9/2/2019 at 3:40 PM, Jon P said:

Hi @Friksel,

Can you attach the file you are working on here. It's possible something got a bit corrupt in the file and I want to take a look.

Thanks

Sorry, I can't send this file. Next to this; I also tried reproducing these problems in a new file and it was crashing on that file too. But I couldn't figure out exactly when it is crashing, because it felt pretty random. At the point when I was about to upload that file to this issue thread 'suddenly' that file wasn't crashing anymore for some reason. So I decided not to upload that file.

But it seems like there are some situations where it crashes almost instantly in the other file; mostly it happened when being zoomed in and after setting the pin to a characterposition in the text. The UI freezes after that when doing a save, or zoom out of whatever, so probably it was already crashed before that last action. So my guess is it crashes after setting the pin to a characterposition or in combination with the action that follows after that, while being zoomed in.

Maybe a strange question, but is there a way I can un-corrupt a file? Or perhaps recreate a new file and paste these designs in or something like that to create a fresh filestructure without perhaps a corrupted thing in it?

Sorry I can't help you with the file. If I can reproduce the issue in a new file and understand a little better when it happens I'll let you know. I'll keep an eye on it.

• Staff

It depends, it likely isn't corrupt, but in 1.7.1 it was possible to get a file in a slightly corrupt state relating to pinned objects (although this mostly manifested itself in crashes when opening the file). If you were getting constant crashing when pinning then I was thinking it could have been something along these lines. It shouldn't be possible to get a file into this state in 1.7.2

If you get the file in a state where it crashes alot again upload it to the above link and let me know. I'll have a poke around this area and see if I can get it to crash.

Thanks

Serif Europe Ltd. - www.serif.com