You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Bending, stretching etc.

Hello all...... 

I am new to AD and although I am reading / watching the tutorials and trying to solve my issues by searching the web, there are still some basics I can't grasp!

First question (probably of many!) - how do I transform a logo to match a path? I can do it with text, but how do I do it with text already converted to curves (started life as an SVG file) or any other non-text item?

What I'm trying to do is take a "text" logo (that is no longer text) and bend it to a curved shape. Sounds simple - but not for me!!:)

Thanks for any help / tips.

• Staff

Hi Geof777,

Welcome to the forums :)

8 hours ago, Geoff777 said:

First question (probably of many!) - how do I transform a logo to match a path? I

That depends on a few things, what is your logo made up of (text only, or an image also), and how is your path positioned? A screenshot of your document (or the document itself) would certainly help here :) 

You might find the following thread some help!

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan, thanks for replying.

This particular object is a logo that started life as text and patterns and is now an "object" I suppose. The text has been converted to "curves" and when selecting the node tool all the nodes show up on each "letter" and the patterns. At the moment it's laid out in a straight horizontal line. What I want to do is bend it, as a group, into a curve.

As a bit of background it's for pretty low-level stuff - making a Decal for Gran Turismo Sport in the livery creation section - I'd like it to fit around a curved wheel-arch 9_9

Pretty basic but I'm stuck! I can skew it, re-size it, stretch it up or down (but not one end only, another subject!) ...... but I can't bend it.

• Staff

Thanks for letting me know! Could you possibly provide a copy of your file so I can test this and provide a resolution using your design? :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hi Dan,

Thanks for the reply - I don't have a design (because I can't seem to do it in AD!).

Never mind, I think I found the answer (attached) - I'm looking for Envelope / Warp effects on objects and it doesn't look like this is available in AD. A bit surprising as I'm sure I used it when I last used a vector app a long time ago (Aldus Freehand!)

Cheers.

Screenshot 2019-09-03 at 09.14.13.png

• Staff

That's correct, unfortunately we don't currently have these features in Affinity Designer, but we do hope to implement them in a future version.

In the meantime there are a few workarounds, I've linked some suggestions below :)

I hope this helps!

Please note -

Many thanks!

Hi Dan

Not really..... I need to do it to postscript files, not bitmap.

I did see that this "feature" has been discussed and laid out in the "roadmap" since..... 2014. On this forum. Hoping to implement in a future version doesn't really cut the mustard.

I also notice lots of people ask for it on the feature requests (or whatever they're called). As mentioned, I was using this basic tool way back in the 1980's with Aldus Freehand and consider it to be a basic, but necessary function. A workaround is a pain in the rear compared to clicking a corner and dragging.

But, thanks very much for the information - if there's one thing Serif cannot be faulted on, it's its support team!