You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Denoise Filter Doesn't work

This is my 2nd post regarding the Denoise Filter following the update.  Basically it doesn't do anything.  I've attempted some drastic denoise actions and nothing happens to the image.  Also, the update changed the way Denoise operated.  There used to be a secondary slider where you could increase the percentage of the de-noise.  That slider is no longer there.  

I'd like to add that I liked the filter so much prior to the update that I created a Macro at various percentages to achieve the desired effect.  Now it's basically a dead button.  I now have to go to other photo editing software to get the denoise done.  

Please look into the Denoise filter and if possible return the old one in the next update.  

Thanks

3 hours ago, tantographics said:

Basically it doesn't do anything

As can be seen from the screen shots comparison below, it is removing a significant amount of the color noise here in Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471 on Windows 10 Pro.

This particular comparison was made using Layer->New Live Filter layer->Noise->Denoise. 

376879719_AffinityDenoise.thumb.jpg.46554979f47c93860f8da487d3413c46.jpg

Intel i7-10700 Gen10 CPU, 32GB RAM, Geforce GTX 1660 OC 6GB
Windows 10 Pro 22H2, 1x 1TB M.2 NVMe, 1 x 2TB M.2 NVMe. Affinity APh, APu, ADe

10 hours ago, KevinPhoto said:

What a disappointment - I used "the extreme" settings all the time (old photo negatives scanned) destructively and non destructively. 

I have reinstalled software and still denoise does not work (i9 iMac).

Back to Photoshop unfortunately . 

Hello @KevinPhoto,
I can not fully understand the criticism, Affinity Photo is certainly not perfect and and there are still some Bug´s that need to be fixed.
But what works very well for me is the Denoise-Filter.

I am use a Windows system, I think on a Mac the same results should be achieved.

see example

Rauschen-2.thumb.PNG.973b62a853abaf83ec47112e662c8875.PNG

before

Rauschen-1.thumb.PNG.f4fe859e4002d497cb5f280de72c93bd.PNG

after

In the help file the new Denoise-Filter is well described.

Rauschen-3.thumb.PNG.1d45f61b9b8030dfce8fc7f3a3dd3c47.PNG

Cheers

Affinity Photo 2.4:         Affinity Photo 1.10.6: 

Affinity Designer 2.4:    Affinity Designer 1.10.6:

Affinity Publisher 2.4:   Affinity Publisher 1.10.6:    

Windows 11 Pro  (Version 23H2 Build (22631.3296)

• 2 months later...

Hmmm.. I tried now with destructive denoise and under developer mode. Nothing changed. What I made:

- open a picture

- duplicate this. Active layer on top.

- I used Filter -> Noise -> Denoise. Nothing changed. Go to Develop persona, and turn on Denoise, change anything -> nothing happened.

Please fix this!

Here is my test picture: 

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Ar9GB-v89284go5PfDgYQGrXgKFjJw?e=ph1VSe

image.thumb.png.e8faa6c23cb344165b743974dcba702d.png

8 hours ago, mykee said:

I used Filter -> Noise -> Denoise. Nothing changed.

@mykee

Your photo was taken at a low ISO (100) and has very little noise present, either Luminance or chroma, however there is an area where you can see the Denoise filter having some effect.

In the attached comparison screen shots, I chose an area to look at just below the dark glasses and used Filter->Noise->Denoise. I didn't play around with finding optimum settings, just  pushed all the sliders to Max.

At a zoom of 426%. you can see the filter is having an effect, but to be honest I would not have bothered with Denoising an image with so little noise. At normal viewing magnification I would not expect to see any difference.

Denoise.jpg

@Greyfox Thanks for help and information! Live denoise filter was worked better as developer persona version and destructive version. Try with Live denoise filter, and see difference. I attached image: on left side see destructive denoise, and right side see Live denoise. I use this filter as beauty effect (like in phones). Project updated on link with live filter.

But this filter was the best in 1.6.x versions, what include Extreme option for strong denoise what I need for big noised images. Live filter duplicates use many CPU resources...

denoise - different.jpg

1 hour ago, mykee said:

I use this filter as beauty effect

@mykee,

Yes, the live filter version does have slightly more effect.

Using a Denoise filter to smooth facial skin would not be my preferred choice of method,  but everyone has their own way of doing things and as long as you get results you are happy with, then why not.

In my view Denoise filters have generally been optimized to specifically reduce Luminance and Chroma noise, usually from high ISO and/or low light shots, rather than for smoothing or reducing the appearance of skin pores.

If you haven't already seen it, this video tutorial shows an alternative method which I think can give a more controllable result.

Perhaps I should add that for really noisy images that have to be "saved" I use one of two Topaz Labs plugins, Denoise 6, or DenoiseAI.

The attached macro should give you the extreme options back  (install via the Library Panel)

Just select the layer then run the macro

It's the Live Denoise Filter, not the non-live one.  The non-live one does not work as well in a macro

denoise.afmacros

denise.jpg

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

• 6 months later...

I am a new user of affinity..actually new to most computer related..Anyway if it is not to much to ask can you explain how I install denoise afmacros. I am able to use the denoise when I use Develop Persona. I am not able to get the blur tool to work is there a fix for that. Thank You Carole

Edited by anniefarbs
trying to get it so it is not so stretched out

1 hour ago, anniefarbs said:

..can you explain how I install denoise afmacros...

Carole,

First if it isn't visible already, make the Library pane visible. (View->Studio then tick Library)
The library pane should now be present on the left side of the screen.

On the right hand side of the Library tab is a small "Hamburger" menu
Left click on it and select Import Macros
In the dialog that opens, browse to where ever you placed the downloaded denoise.afmacros file, select it, then click on Open.
That will install the denoise-with-extreme mmacro.

To use click on Denoise-with-extreme. That will place a mask on the current layer.
Double click on the mask to open the Live Denoise Panel.
In now has the Extreme tick box added to the panel.

Hope that helps

Library.jpg

Import Macro.jpg

Denoise Extreme.jpg