You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very weird . . . cannot use color picker --- it turns image monochromatic

6 hours ago, Wosven said:

It's only happening if you click on the colour use as matte when exporting a transparent PNG to have a PNG without transparent background but a selectable and special colour that is used for the pixels that should be ignored/considered as transparent.
That's the same as the use of this green colour to select and delete easily a background on an image when taking picture or filming, the difference is that it's an option and colour you choose while exporting a PNG.

When I was talking of switching foreground/background, it was before clicking on the colour, since it's only one of those that modify the entire image's colour, the other one don't.

1. This is a photo using a green screen. Therefore, there is no transparency involved at all. Thus there is no color used as a matte.

2. The image is a jpg. Once the color has been removed to my satisfaction a background will be added and then saved as an afphoto file.

3. Switching the foreground and background colors only change the color . . . from green to whatever other color has been selected . . . but it is still monochrome: "Now, instead of a green monochrome image, I have a red monochrome image."

2 minutes ago, Smee Again said:

If I don't, then clicking on the green background when using the eyedropper tool turns the entire image monochrome green.

Then perhaps you have a palettized image as suggested above, and perhaps you have found a Designer bug. Or perhaps it's something intended that I don't understand.

Does turning off "Apply to Selection" resolve the problem for you, as a workaround?

One of the Serif staff may be able to explain what's happening when they process this bug report, but they will probably want to have the image available. If there's some reason you're not sharing it, they will also be able to provide a private upload link.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

11 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Something strange is certainly happening because with an Opened image, with just the background layer, clicking with the Color Picker Tool, regardless of that Context Toolbar setting, does nothing for me but change the colors shown in the Color panel.

The colour changes for me on every image (layer) I sample with the colour picker tool, if "Apply to Selection" is set on

Are you saying you see no colour change to the image if "Apply to Selection" is set on, if so can you upload an AP document with an image file in it so we can see what happens here

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@carl123: Yes, that's what I was saying. However, this morning the behavior I see matches what you say. I'm not sure what was happening yesterday, or what I thought was happening.

Sorry.

(ps: I like your revised tag/signature line.)

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

21 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

@carl123: Yes, that's what I was saying. However, this morning the behavior I see matches what you say. I'm not sure what was happening yesterday, or what I thought was happening.

Sorry.

Ok Thanks, I was getting a bit confused with this thread.  All sorted now

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

17 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I still don't understand this. (And I understood none of Wosven's explanation about transparency and a palettized PNG file; sorry.)

I can tell you how to stop the color from changing, though. Turn off the "Apply to Selection" option in the Color Picker Tool's Context Toolbar, which seems to be on by default:

image.png.ca087c2e914a5f2839187f37821b2831.png

But it's also on when I tried it with my file, and nothing changed in my file when I used the color picker, whether I Rasterize the (Image) layer or not.

Thanks for the TIP ... 

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Sorry, I tested earlier with the PNG from the link, and only tested with first the green colour and second with the red from matte export.

In fact, I never use the Tool Colour Picker but the one on the palette or the modifier key Alt, so I didn't notice this "Apply to selection" option.

Checked or not, this behavior will happen with all the apps (AD, AP, APub), when pacing or droping an image in a new file. It will happen with picked colour with the Colour picker Tool, and also when using other tools and selecting a swatch (Pantone or not) or a gradient.

Was this happening with older versions like 1.6? I can't remember it, but it can be usefull…

9 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Then perhaps you have a palettized image as suggested above, and perhaps you have found a Designer bug. Or perhaps it's something intended that I don't understand.

Does turning off "Apply to Selection" resolve the problem for you, as a workaround?

One of the Serif staff may be able to explain what's happening when they process this bug report, but they will probably want to have the image available. If there's some reason you're not sharing it, they will also be able to provide a private upload link.

Straight out the Nikon Camera --- jpg image. This Nikon does NOT take raw, png, tif, or any other format image.

Here's what's happening:

12 minutes ago, Smee Again said:

Straight out the Nikon Camera

You have a (Image) layer, not a (Pixel) layer, as the Layers panel shows. So, how did you get the image into Photo? If you had used File > Open it would show as (Pixel) and would be a raster image. If you used something like drag & drop or copy/paste onto an existing empty image you would get an (Image) layer like that.

An (Image) layer is a special kind of vector layer. It is not a raster image, which is why rasterizing it changes the behavior. Select Sampled Color requires a raster layer to sample from, and you don't have one. For more information about that kind of layer, see the Photo Help for Place Images.

You are also operating with "Apply to Selection" checked. If you turn that off, I think it would also correct your problem. But if you're wanting to operate on it as a pixel/raster layer (as you would need to do to make pixel selections such as Select Sampled Color) then you wil need to rasterize it, or you will need to Open it instead of getting the image into your document as you're doing it now.

-- Walt
PC: