You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Very weird . . . cannot use color picker --- it turns image monochromatic

Tried this evening to choose the greenscreen portion of an image by choosing the color picker. As soon as I click on the image, everything turns the color that I click on . . . the entire image is now a monochrome green.

Restarted program, same problem. It didn't work like that in the past. Before, selecting a color with the color picker then using <Select>/<Select Sampled Color> would do a great job, needing minimal adjustment. Now, the entire process is an exercise in futility!!!

This is the first attempt to do this since upgrading, but it is really not what I need to have happen right now.

5 hours ago, HVDB Photography said:

I think you're on an (image) layer, right click on it and choose rasterise...

Even on an (Image) layer, the Color Picker Tool just samples; it does not change the color of anything, for me.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Hi Walt,

I grabbed one from the internet and saved it locally (had NO embedded ICC profile or metadata.), then placed it my document (>  image layer) .

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

Can you share a sample .afphoto file, before the problem occurs?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Can you share a sample .afphoto file, before the problem occurs?

Hereby, 

afphoto

Upload failed  = PNG-file as I downloaded from internet 
You'll need to download it from here

EXIF textfile

green-screen-backgrounds.afphoto

EXIF__green-screen-backgrounds.txt

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42
Windows 11 Home 23H2 (Build 22631.3007) - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8565U CPU @ 1.80GHz   2.00 GHz - RAM 16,0 GB

18 minutes ago, HVDB Photography said:

Hereby, 

afphoto

Thanks. That's very strange. I agree that clicking on your (Image) layer with the Color Picker Tool changes the color of the layer, but I have never seen that happen before, and it does not happen with other files I have that have an (Image) layer with what seems to be the same structure you have.

-- Walt
PC:

It's happening because this color is use as "matte" in a paletized PNG, and should represent transparency.

If I save a transparent screenshot wiith red as "matte" (or "cache" in French, another localisation problem, this mean nothing here :S), and click on it after placing the PNG in a document:

2019-09-01_212134.png.9ba386ed4eb1e268c2e17ac8083712d0.png

2019-09-01_212107.thumb.png.36bc129ae1679b0563038248f051d5a7.png

[Edit] Oups, the file with "red matte": [/Edit]

2019-09-01_211527-.thumb.png.90b1ef601224e03ff01068df0b9023f3.png

Oh yeah.

Works fine when using File > Open = (Pixel) layer

But not when using File > Place or dragging it on the canvas (matte or transparent) = (Image) layer, which needs to be rasterized first.

(The man sitting on the chair, is a placed JPG-file ... )

But I probably misunderstand it completely ...

red cache !!.afphoto

1.jpg

Affinity Photo  2.3.1

Laptop MSI Prestige PS42

I still don't understand this. (And I understood none of Wosven's explanation about transparency and a palettized PNG file; sorry.)

I can tell you how to stop the color from changing, though. Turn off the "Apply to Selection" option in the Color Picker Tool's Context Toolbar, which seems to be on by default:

image.png.ca087c2e914a5f2839187f37821b2831.png

But it's also on when I tried it with my file, and nothing changed in my file when I used the color picker, whether I Rasterize the (Image) layer or not.

-- Walt
PC:

44 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Wosven's explanation about transparency and a palettized PNG file

Today, you can save a PNG with transparency, but before, and perhaps with other file formats like JPG, there wasn't trasnparency and a trick was to use a special colour (a vibrant and barely use colour like the green above or RVB magenta), and the app would distinguish this colour and use only the parts that aren't this colour. It was used to design skins or set of icons for programs like Winamp, with all the parts in the same file separated by this colour.

You only needed to specify the colour as we do with the "matte" option, or use the colour specified in a documentation.

It's possible some apps can't read alpha channel and keep on using this.

It doesn't explain why AD behave this way when selecting this colour, but why the matte colour is a special one and behave strangely differently. (But I would expect it to not be displayed when opening such a file => transparency as intended instead, and the area covered by this colour to be shown in the alpha channel).

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

I can tell you how to stop the color from changing

Another way is to switch the foreground/background colours, (key X). I don't know if there's a foreground and a background colour, but it seems to colorize the picture only when one of them is selected while picking the colour.

2 hours ago, Wosven said:

Another way is to switch the foreground/background colours, (key X). I don't know if there's a foreground and a background colour, but it seems to colorize the picture only when one of them is selected while picking the colour.

Doesn't help.

After making the selection, then swapping the color, the entire image is monochrome blue (that was the secondary color. If I change the color to red, or any other color of my choosing, the image takes on that color.

The process is B R O K E N. Makes no difference in the behavior if I untick "apply to selection" except that the color change is not instantaneous. I first have to click on the selected color in the color tab, then everything turns green.

Using version 1.7.2.471

18 hours ago, HVDB Photography said:

I think you're on an (image) layer, right click on it and choose rasterise...

This prevents the monocrhome effect, but the image is a jpg rasterized image. Why in the world should I have to rasterize a raster image? That is not making any sense to me?

If you could explain, I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks for the suggestion.

12 minutes ago, Smee Again said:

but the image is a jpg rasterized image. Why in the world should I have to rasterize a raster image?

You haven't given us any real information, such as screen shots of your workspace and the Layers panel, or a sample .afphoto file, so largely we're guessing what you have and what you're seeing. One supposition was that you're working on an (Image) layer, rather than a (Pixel) layer, which you would get if you Placed an image file into your document (File > Place, or drag/drop, or copy/paste) rather than Opening it (File > Open, etc.).

-- Walt
PC:

21 minutes ago, Smee Again said:

Makes no difference in the behavior if I untick "apply to selection" except that the color change is not instantaneous. I first have to click on the selected color in the color tab, then everything turns green.

If you click on the selected color in the Color panel, you are telling Photo to apply that color to the selected object or layer. Of course that action would turn it green (if green is the color).

The question is why does clicking the Color Picker Tool in your image change the color. That could be because you have "Apply to Selection" enabled in the Context Toolbar. If so, one thing you need to do is turn that option off before using the Color Picker Tool. Or use the color picker (eyedropper) in the Color panel to select colors, instead.

-- Walt
PC:

1. Opened image. Only layer existing. No other layers . . . no adjustment layers, no pixel layers, no fx and no live filters. Just one layer --- the image I want to start working on.

2. It has not been saved as an afphoto file . . . why save something that completely does not work.

4 minutes ago, Smee Again said:

1. Opened image. Only layer existing. No other layers . . . no adjustment layers, no pixel layers, no fx and no live filters. Just one layer --- the image I want to start working on.

2. It has not been saved as an afphoto file . . . why save something that completely does not work.

Why save? So you can provide it as a sample to help others explain what you're seeing :)
(In fact, having both the .afphoto and the original image would be useful for diagnosis.)

Does it happen for you with all images, or just that one?

Something strange is certainly happening because with an Opened image, with just the background layer, clicking with the Color Picker Tool, regardless of that Context Toolbar setting, does nothing for me but change the colors shown in the Color panel.

-- Walt
PC:

It's only happening if you click on the colour use as matte when exporting a transparent PNG to have a PNG without transparent background but a selectable and special colour that is used for the pixels that should be ignored/considered as transparent.
That's the same as the use of this green colour to select and delete easily a background on an image when taking picture or filming, the difference is that it's an option and colour you choose while exporting a PNG.

When I was talking of switching foreground/background, it was before clicking on the colour, since it's only one of those that modify the entire image's colour, the other one don't.

9 hours ago, Smee Again said:

Simple question that requires neither an image posted or a file uploaded:

WHY must I rasterize a raster image before I can use <Select>/<Select Sampled Color>?

Simple answer: You don't need to.

If you have a raster image, showing as a (Pixel) layer in the Layers panel, you can Select > Select Sampled Color without doing anything to the image first.

-- Walt
PC:

5 hours ago, Wosven said:

It's only happening if you click on the colour use as matte when exporting a transparent PNG to have a PNG without transparent background but a selectable and special colour that is used for the pixels that should be ignored/considered as transparent.

Sorry, but in the files that @HVDB Photography posted it happens for any color that one clicks.

-- Walt
PC:

1 hour ago, walt.farrell said:

Simple answer: You don't need to.

If you have a raster image, showing as a (Pixel) layer in the Layers panel, you can Select > Select Sampled Color without doing anything to the image first.

If I don't, then clicking on the green background when using the eyedropper tool turns the entire image monochrome green.