You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

i have followed an AP tutorial on how to create swatches by: Create a palette from Image, Location: Application. Working on Mac with a Wacom tablet. I need them for color grading. I have created quite a few of them but not sure how I can show up in the swatch panel. The search tool does not shows them up. I can see some in a window (see enclosed screen shot) but when I try to search for them nothing happens.

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 23.47.38.png

Screen Shot 2019-08-31 at 23.55.48.png

• Staff

Hi PSt1 :)

Have you named each individual swatch? The search function works by searching the currently viewed Palette by name of the swatch, by default the names provided to each Swatch is based on the HSL values of the colour. Unfortunately you can't search through all palettes simultaneously with the search currently, apologies!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

2 hours ago, Dan C said:

Unfortunately you can't search through all palettes simultaneously with the search currently, apologies!

That is a pity, indeed. To find or detect a used swatch is really not easy: It also appears that the auto-highlighting of a swatch doesn't work unless you have its according palette selected already in the swatches panel. That means you don't even get the highlight if you click through all palettes and pass the right one. Instead you need to un-select + re-select the object after each palette switch to make the highlight appear.

Could be nice if at least the according palette name would be shown, for instance in the colors panel under a color name.
Not to mention an option to auto-switch in the swatches panel to the palette which contains the swatch of a selected object.
Or, a step further, to be allowed to show more than 1 palette in the swatches list, for instance by ticking palettes in the pulldown menu.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

On 9/1/2019 at 2:03 PM, Dan C said:

Hi PSt1 :)

Have you named each individual swatch? The search function works by searching the currently viewed Palette by name of the swatch, by default the names provided to each Swatch is based on the HSL values of the colour. Unfortunately you can't search through all palettes simultaneously with the search currently, apologies!

Yes, I have given a name to each of my swatches as shown in the screen shot. And I can confirm that the search tool does not find even swatches that are on the recent list. It looks like an inactive search tool. No message: not fou d, no nothing

1 hour ago, PSt1 said:

And I can confirm that the search tool does not find even swatches that are on the recent list. It looks like an inactive search tool. No message: not fou d, no nothing

For me, the swatches search works very well in each individual palette. Once an entered glyph is part of a swatch name, the swatch list will appear with the results found. If I enter another glyph, the list is adjusted almost simultaneously.

In your screenshot we see a palette name only, no list view with swatches names. And we see 5 swatches + a search term. That would mean these 5 swatches have names which include "MW - 5" somewhere in their name. If this is true then the search does work. If not, can you show a screenshot of a palette in list view + an active search?

You mention "not find even ... recent list". – What list do you mean? – I only have the vertical bar of recent swatch icons but they don't show names which I could search for.

• Staff
14 hours ago, PSt1 said:

Yes, I have given a name to each of my swatches as shown in the screen shot.

Apologies, your screenshot shows you have named the Palette, which isn't something that can be searched for currently. Each of your individual Swatches have their own name, and this is the parameter that the search function uses. If you hover, or right-click and select rename, one of your Swatches you'll see it is named by default based on HSL values. You can leave this as is, and search based on these - ie 'h:106' - or name each individual Swatch with a custom name that you can use to search for later.

As previously stated, the search doesn't work across multiple Palettes, and doesn't work for Palette names. I hope this clears things up!

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

On 9/4/2019 at 8:57 PM, thomaso said:

In your screenshot we see a palette name only, no list view with swatches names. And we see 5 swatches + a search term. That would mean these 5 swatches have names which include "MW - 5" somewhere in their name. If this is true then the search does work. If not, can you show a screenshot of a palette in list view + an active search?

You mention "not find even ... recent list". – What list do you mean? – I only have the vertical bar of recent swatch icons but they don't show names which I could search for.

The screen shot is all what I can see when opening the swatch tab. I used Create pallets from image and saved a new pallets in Application location. Pity the swatch doest not work for pallets.

• Staff

Think of a Palette as a group, which contains individual Swatches. The name shown here -

image.png

Is the name of the Palette where your Swatches are stored.

If you hover your mouse over one of the 5 Swatches (outlined below)

image.png

You should see a name appear for each - by default these will be in the following format - H:xx S:xx L:xx (Hue, Saturation & Lightness)

If you want to use the Search function, this currently only searches by name of Swatch. This means you'll need to right-click on each individual Swatch and select Rename Fill.

You can then give your Swatches a custom name, and use these names for future searching. I hope this clears things up :) 

1 hour ago, PSt1 said:

The screen shot is all what I can see when opening the swatch tab.

You can customize the swatches appearance a little, for instance show as list with swatches names.
Select it from the "hamburger" pulldown menu in the upper right corner of the swatches panel:

317410871_swatches-listviewwithnames.jpg.692e219fbf830b7e859fc9bf318c0854.jpg

Also, in your current non-list view, you can detect a swatch name by hovering over the swatch and waiting for the tooltip/popup to appear:

717200447_swatches-nameastooltippopup.jpg.acfc6475224d3892ca049dcc178d89de.jpg

1 hour ago, PSt1 said:

Pity the swatch doest not work for pallets.

What do you mean? I'd rather say the swatches do work ONLY for palettes: if a color is not saved in a palette then it does not appear as swatch. You can use any color without having it saved as swatch.