You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PSD layers problem. Layer content deleted on save

Greetings,

I wonder if you can help me with an Affinity Photo or Designer issue with the PSD file format.

I have the need to have other apps to open PSD files when called for an external editor to make changes and save.

I tested the settings by making Affinity Photo and then Affinity Designer as my external editor of choice, but the PSD “layers content” keeps getting deleted when I save the file from within Affinity Photo or Designer.

Take this one example with an animation app that I use to create characters with PSD file layers. I have to use the PSD format so that the app updates my characters properly.

The app is called “Cartoon Animator 4”.

WITH PHOTOSHOP CS6

When the animation app opens the PSD file in Photoshop CS6, all layers remain intact after my updates to the file and I hit save. When the PSD file gets updated in my animation app, all layers are there including my changes. Everything looks very good as it’s supposed to, since all I am doing is working with the PSD file and saving it.  Nothing difficult.

WITH AFFINITY APPS

However, when the animation app opens the PSD file in Affinity Photo or Designer ( when I use any of these as my preferred PSD file editor ), all layers look fine when it’s opened in Photo or Designer, until I save it.  When the PSD file gets updated in my animation app, all layers contents are NOT there, except for the one on top of the group. The layers content that were there got DELETED by AP or AD.

Can this be a big bug in Affinity Photo and Designer with the way it handles PSD files?  I am hoping it is a fixable bug. I really don’t want to go back to Adobe products. I haven’t used or opened Photoshop CS6 in two years and I thought I already made the full move to affinity products, but now, I don’t know what to think.

Please see attached screenshots demonstrating what is happening.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Best regards,

Bill

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

• Staff

Hi AffinityAppMan,

Unfortunately there is a known issue that the content of a layer is deleted (but not the layer itself) when it is hidden and then exported to PSD. Unfortunately there isn't a work around other than to not hide the layer, which I can understand isn't useful or possible in some cases.

I will get this bumped with development.

15 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi AffinityAppMan,

Unfortunately there is a known issue that the content of a layer is deleted (but not the layer itself) when it is hidden and then exported to PSD. Unfortunately there isn't a work around other than to not hide the layer, which I can understand isn't useful or possible in some cases.

I will get this bumped with development.

Thanks for the reply Sean.  This is very disappointing. I was really hoping to brake away from Adobe products.

i hope this gets resolved soon. Do I need. To summit or post this somewhere else to expedite the fixing?

• Staff
7 hours ago, AffinityAppMan said:

Thanks for the reply Sean.  This is very disappointing. I was really hoping to brake away from Adobe products.

i hope this gets resolved soon. Do I need. To summit or post this somewhere else to expedite the fixing?

No need to do anything more! I've passed your concerns onto development and mentioned that is has broken your workflow with Cartoon Animator 4!

• 2 weeks later...

I have come across the same problem. To work around this, when you are in CTA4 composer mode, export each individual body part separately by clicking on the button shown in my attached file. It's a hassle to edit each element one by one like this but it seems to preserve all of the hands. Just keep the hands away from AP as the hand files will be lost.

CTAScreeenshot.png

1 hour ago, galengrant said:

I have come across the same problem. To work around this, when you are in CTA4 composer mode, export each individual body part separately by clicking on the button shown in my attached file. It's a hassle to edit each element one by one like this but it seems to preserve all of the hands. Just keep the hands away from AP as the hand files will be lost.

CTAScreeenshot.png

Thanks for posting this info. Unfortunately, that seems like a lot of work.

i found a away around it for now by using Clip Studio Paint as my PSD editor. My goal is to eventually switch 100% to Affinity Photo when this gets fixed.  If Clip Studio Paint works well, there is hope for Affinity Photo.

cheers!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...