You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

So I've just pretty much begun to learn Affinity Designer, I'm an avid Photoshop user so it's a bit strange jumping straight into this new software. Anyway, I've run into a bit of an issue. I'm using the trial version and I can't seem to freely use the pen tool -- it's just projecting straight lines. I want to draw without the constraints, is there anyway to resolve this? 

Cheers

Hi rose_dv,
Welcome to the Affinity forum!

– Possibly you click only – instead of click-drag – when using the pen tool?
– Or have "Line mode" activated?  1199890993_pentoollinemode.jpg.24d58a3e0cb3f052454c9c146bf31661.jpg

The Affinity help might answer some initial questions about pen tool:
https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Tools/tools_pen.html?title=Pen Tool

Also you might find in the internet quite a few free video tutorials, of either Serif staff or engaged users. In the Welcome screen on application launch you find some direct links.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

19 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Hi rose_dv,
Welcome to the Affinity forum!

– Possibly you click only – instead of click-drag – when using the pen tool?
– Or have "Line mode" activated?  1199890993_pentoollinemode.jpg.24d58a3e0cb3f052454c9c146bf31661.jpg

The Affinity help might answer some initial questions about pen tool:
https://affinity.help/designer/en-US.lproj/index.html?page=pages/Tools/tools_pen.html?title=Pen Tool

Also you might find in the internet quite a few free video tutorials, of either Serif staff or engaged users. In the Welcome screen on application launch you find some direct links.

Thanks for the response, how do I find the 'line mode' window/box? I have my pen tool selected but I can't see the mode box anywhere. 

1 hour ago, rose_dv said:

I want to draw without the constraints, is there anyway to resolve this? 

Hi,

You might be better using the Vector Brush tool, if you want draw free from constraints. The Pen tool draws in paths (lines and nodes) you tap to create a node and tap again to join it,  the different modes for the pen tool are on the context toolbar, under the main toolbar, when the pen is selected. What you draw with the Vector brush tool will still create a path that you can edit, if you truly want to draw like a pixel based program, go into the Pixel persona and use the Paint brush tool.

7 minutes ago, summersara said:

Hi,

You might be better using the Vector Brush tool, if you want draw free from constraints. The Pen tool draws in paths (lines and nodes) you tap to create a node and tap again to join it,  the different modes for the pen tool are on the context toolbar, under the main toolbar, when the pen is selected. What you draw with the Vector brush tool will still create a path that you can edit, if you truly want to draw like a pixel based program, go into the Pixel persona and use the Paint brush tool.

Ah thanks, I'm not sure where I saw someone use the pencil tool and draw freely with it -- maybe I had it confused with a different tool. This helps though, cheers. 

6 minutes ago, rose_dv said:

Ah thanks, I'm not sure where I saw someone use the pencil tool and draw freely with it -- maybe I had it confused with a different tool. This helps though, cheers. 

Argh, if your taking about the pencil tool (as you mentioned the pen tool in your first comment) you can draw freely with it but it will still create lines and nodes to edit.

1 hour ago, rose_dv said:

Thanks for the response, how do I find the 'line mode' window/box? I have my pen tool selected but I can't see the mode box anywhere. 

The mode box is on the Context toolbar (immediately below the main toolbar).

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Workspace/contextBar.html

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

5 minutes ago, summersara said:

Agh, if you taking about the pencil tool (as you mentioned the pen tool in your first comment) you can draw freely with it but it will still create lines and nodes to edit.

Sorry, thought I put pencil -- my bad!

2 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The mode box is on the Context toolbar (below the main toolbar).

https://affinity.help/designer/English.lproj/pages/Workspace/contextBar.html

Found it, thanks. :)

8 minutes ago, Bad_Wolf said:

Isabel Aracama on Skillshare

Isabel also has a number of tutorial videos on her YouTube channel. :)

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

True Alfred, there are tutorials on her Youtube channel too. However, one of the pen tool tutorials is more extensive on Skillshare. Both her courses on Skillshare as her Youtube channel are very interesting places to expand your drawing and Affinity talents. Isabel Aracama is a very talented and motivated teacher. Her teaching style is funny, clear and to the point. Maybe the Affinity team should hire her because her tutorials are better than the Affinity created ones.

Despite the fact, I visit her Youtube channel regularly, I forgot to mention it. Please, accept my apology for my mistake which you corrected now.