You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I'm struggling to get to grips with mask layers and their use and have tried switching a mask layer on and off to get a better understanding of how it works.

When I do so, nothing happens as expected.

The only way I seem to be able to see what I expect to see is by clicking on the Preview Mode button.  This refreshes the view.

Should what I see be influenced directly from the Layers panel?

• Staff

Hi Eddy-2 :)

I recommend checking out the following video tutorial on masks! - https://affinity.serif.com/tutorials/photo/desktop/video/332168517

1 hour ago, Eddy-2 said:

Should what I see be influenced directly from the Layers panel?

Absolutely! Could you please provide a screenshot of your layers panel to give me a better understanding of your issue please?

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Many thanks :)

Thanks for the link, Dan.

Regarding the screen shots, I start off with View 1 and see what I expect to see.

When I untick the Mask and the Ellipse (View 2), I'd expect to see the rectangle but nothing changes.

Only when I click on the Preview Mode button does the view refresh and show the rectangle (View 3).

View 1.PNG

View 2.PNG

View 3.PNG

• Staff

Thanks for that Eddy :)

It appears as though you've found a bug with the latest version, the mask is not re-drawing when you turn it on/off from the layers panel. Using the Preview button (or simply zooming in/out of the document) refreshes the canvas and re-draws with the mask shown/hidden, as appropriate.

I'll get this logged with our development team to be fixed asap, in the meantime I recommend zooming to refresh the canvas after any mask changes are made, my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences caused here!

EDIT: Another option, specific to your above setup, could be to clip and mask the Ellipse directly to the rectangle, negating the need for an additional mask-

4f9151ce466876233781ce42bb70f72e.gif

Please Note: I am now out of the office until Tuesday 2nd April on annual leave.

If you require urgent assistance, please create a new thread and a member of our team will be sure to assist asap.

Still scratching my head.

I have a layer containing a large green rectangle.

On the layer, I draw a triangle.  This appears above the rectangle in the layer stack.

I right click on the triangle and select 'Mask to Below'.

I'd expect the result to be a green triangle but it isn't.  If I click outside the spread, it goes blank.

What's happening.

1.PNG

2.PNG

3.PNG

• Staff
1 hour ago, Eddy-2 said:

That said, there doesn't seem to be a mention of a fill in the help file when adding a vector mask.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention, I've logged this to be improved with our documentation team :)