You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there a snapping feature that allows snapping to a guide when resizing an object using 'alt-cmd'?

If voting made any difference it wouldn't be allowed!

Rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Truth does not need to be protected only lies do.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

'Transform origin' is something I've only ever used to get a centre of rotation - never thought of using it to what I needed. Thanks.

To be ignorant of world happenings is forgivable - to be willingly ignorant is unforgivable.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

I use this feature all the time when working out what happens with designing hinge arrangements. Check this link.

There are two groups that rotate A ( a door) and B (door closer). This will show how the B needs to slide in order to stay fixed to the door. I haven't been able to find a way the make the arm slide as the door closes. Any suggestions?

Door.afdesign

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

In your door sample there are two different rotation points involved. Because you can rotate in Affinity only around 1 point at a time you could rotate in 2 steps with the same angle in transform panel, for each object around its own point. That might make B appear to slide along A, wouldn't it?

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

This is what I do. It would be great if I was able to get the arm to lengthen by sliding but I don't think it would be possible unless I animated it. I used to animate in DrawPlus but I haven't tried it in AD.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Yes there is a sleeve that the arm slides in as the door closes.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

LOL no problem! This link will explain how the door closer works. Rotate each door and arm and watch what happens.

As the door opens the arm needs to get shorter whence the need for a sliding sleeve.

Arm sleeve.afdesign

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Where did you find them?

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

OK. Just an untidy piece of work. Much of what I do is not used to present as finished graphic work. It is mostly rough mechanical prototype design work. When it is finished I get a CAD designer to make the final drawings. I'd do them myslef only I can't get the AD developers to add a dimension tool feature like DrawPlus 8 had.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0

Maybe a simple CAD tool makes it easier for you with such technical constructions. There are a few, some open source or free. I assume with different export options and qualities, in particular for PDF.

ps: there is a white rectangle you might not want at the sliding end of the arm

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Yes I often find odd objects that I thought I had discarded.

I am aware of open source CAD software but I'm 80 and I don't feel I have the time to learn to use new software for the limited use I would give it. I can do pretty much what I need using AD but a dimension tool would be a great asset! For awhile I save my AD drawing as a PDF and exported it into DrawPlus 8 on my Windows HD partition and used its dimension tool. However even that became too much of an inconvenience when I discovered I needed to edit the original AD drawing and to go back, modify and then re-save as a PDF and re-export to DP.

Mac OS Monterey 12.6.4

AD version 2.3.0