You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Presents - Filling a hole in the market

Most of the time I saw PowerPoint presentations it was just for fades between pages (sometimes a new effect on each slide) and having bullets points fly in. So basicly baublery.

I see that some people really might need such a presentation tool, but most of the people I know would do a better job with static PDFs. :)

Windows 10 Pro x64 (1903). Intel Core i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz, 32 GB memory, NVidia RTX 2080
Affinity Photo 1.7.2.471, Affinity Designer 1.7.2.471, Affinity Publisher 1.7.2.471

• 1 month later...
On 10/10/2019 at 7:34 AM, walt.farrell said:

Just pointing out that your idea of "complete" and someone else's idea of "complete" are not the same.

You tried to sound poetic and deep but ended sounding very arrogant and selfish.

People who feel that they are already "complete" with the existing Affinity programs can't prevent other people of feeling incomplete, and needing other ones. Who are you to dictate what's completeness means for everybody in the world?

@HenrikM Acrobat Reader DC seems to cover most of your needs, except for animations:
* It’s free.
* You can use it offline.
* You can have a transition between pages – they all have to be the same one (or a random transition) but Fade is nice.
* Easy to control – left-click to go forward, right-click to go back.
Personally I have never bothered with animation in presentations; they take too much time to set-up and hardly anyone watching cares much about them if they are there. However, I can see why you might want them to show changes although this could be achieved quickly with no-quite-wholly-duplicated pages (see my very simple attached video). It’s worth giving it a try for a few minutes and seeing if it does most of what’s needed.

@GarryP I posted the original message some time ago. I went with PowerPoint in the end. I tried a bunch of other programs, but none of them measured up in terms of features, quality of transitions, and ease of use. Acrobat Reader is not very useful to me, I am afraid, except as a PDF reader, of course.

As an example: The most recent animation I did was to illustrate the difference between vertically and horizontally sliced requirements for large scale software systems development in terms of the effect on multi-team process flows.

I can't do that with Acrobat Reader, or any of the other solutions people have proposed to me, in this thread, and elsewhere.

PowerPoint is not ideal, but it does the job, at least with fairly simple animations. The animation I mentioned above still has some kinks, due to the way PowerPoint handles morphing (it does not morph curves with connectors properly), but those kinks can be worked out, or worked around.

More options:

• Godot game engine with the Slides script: https://github.com/GDQuest/godot-power-pitch
    Bit more technical, but the built-in timeline and other options enable some very complex presentations and animations to be made, including fully interactive ones. And exports to independent executables or the web. No need for a player. And completely free!
    Higher learning curve, however.
  • Construct game engine. Latest version also includes a timeline. Exports directly to the web, or convert to an executable which runs without the need for a player.
  • Pinegrow with the new Interactions plugin. This is a visual web editor, and the Interactions plugin allows for some nifty animations. Most importantly, it includes an animation timeline to control individual elements. https://pinegrow.com/blog/introducing-pinegrow-interactions/
  • Animate CC. Powerful timeline again to build any type of animation. Export to the web to share presentations. Or export an executable.
  • Tumult Hype (Mac) or Saola Animate (Windows) Both are html5 animation apps, which feature a timeline based approach, comparable to Animate CC or the now defunct Edge Animate.
    https://tumult.com/hype/
    https://atomisystems.com/saola-animate/

While the game engines require more time to learn, they would easily be able to create just about any type of highly interactive and animation controlled presentation. At the expense of more complexity, of course.

Only an animation timeline will allow for full control of animations.

Instead of re-inventing the wheel, you could use any of the above tools to create only the animations you require, and then embed these in your Powerpoint presentation. But I am unsure if it is possible for embedded html objects to receive clicks. It wasn't in older versions.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Sorry if I write in Spanish, my English is not good enough. Yo utilizo Affinity Publisher para crear las presentaciones de mi esposa, que es maestra y desde inicios del 2020 empezó a dar clases en línea y notando que en PowerPoint gastaba horas en hacer presentaciones "muy bonitas" y con efectos para que a la hora de presentar su clase solo se mostraban animaciones por pocos segundos que, como dicen otros, solo distraen a los alumnos. Empecé a hacer sus presentaciones en PDF y además de pesar muy poco tardo menos, mucho menos tiempo y ella se enfoca en el contenido de mayor calidad.

He reemplazado el uso de Office offline y web por el software Affinity y todo va bien.

Yo pienso que el software Affinity va por muy buen camino e innovar en otra area debe planearlo con mucho cuidado.

On 1/22/2020 at 2:16 PM, fde101 said:

ProPresenter is another option, but it may be a bit overkill depending on your requirements...

You don't really setup presentations like you do in PowerPoint and Keynote in ProPresenter do you? I remember looking at it years ago and it seems its main function is churches and displaying music that can be catalogued and quickly added without setup each time. Unless it has changed since I looked at it years ago, you did not do individual setups. It had a powerpoint viewer in it for displaying powerpoint, but again not setting it up. 

31 minutes ago, wonderings said:

You don't really setup presentations like you do in PowerPoint and Keynote in ProPresenter do you? I remember looking at it years ago and it seems its main function is churches and displaying music that can be catalogued and quickly added without setup each time. Unless it has changed since I looked at it years ago, you did not do individual setups. It had a powerpoint viewer in it for displaying powerpoint, but again not setting it up. 

While church use cases are its primary function, it can do a LOT more than that, and is used by a number of businesses of various types, not only by churches.

The most recent version actually adds a preference to hide a number of features that are specific to church use cases to simplify things when it is used by a business.

You can edit slides and create presentations entirely inside of ProPresenter without using PowerPoint or other external tool - it is not only for song lyrics.  It doesn't have charting and other functionality like that, but you can add text, pictures and basic shapes in arbitrary places on a particular slide (and set font, color, etc.), custom builds and transitions into and out of each slide (this item fades in over 3 seconds as soon as the slide is displayed, this one flies in from the right 2 seconds layer, ...), live video streaming from an outside source (such as  a camera), audio cues, and so on.

15 hours ago, fde101 said:

While church use cases are its primary function, it can do a LOT more than that, and is used by a number of businesses of various types, not only by churches.

The most recent version actually adds a preference to hide a number of features that are specific to church use cases to simplify things when it is used by a business.

You can edit slides and create presentations entirely inside of ProPresenter without using PowerPoint or other external tool - it is not only for song lyrics.  It doesn't have charting and other functionality like that, but you can add text, pictures and basic shapes in arbitrary places on a particular slide (and set font, color, etc.), custom builds and transitions into and out of each slide (this item fades in over 3 seconds as soon as the slide is displayed, this one flies in from the right 2 seconds layer, ...), live video streaming from an outside source (such as  a camera), audio cues, and so on.

I think at the rental price point for ProPresenter ($400 USD a year) I would go searching for a used MacBook Pro or even use an iPad Pro and use Keynote. Keynote is incredibly powerful for what it is and runs great on a Mac. 

11 minutes ago, wonderings said:

or even use an iPad Pro and use Keynote

Would you really need an iPad Pro for this? Keynote runs on regular iPads that are half the price of the Pro models.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

2 hours ago, Alfred said:

Would you really need an iPad Pro for this? Keynote runs on regular iPads that are half the price of the Pro models.

Just had iPad Pro on the brain as that is what I have, you can run it on your iPhone if you want, I used to do that. Would stream keynote to Apple TV from my Phone, worked amazing.