You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hello,

Several graphic formats have emerged before disappearing more or less, but they still exist. Here are all the graphic formats that seem to be referenced.

The best known

JPEG · JPEG 2000 · JPEG-LS · JBIG · JBIG2 · PNG · WBMP · HEIF

The curiosities

BMP · BPG · FLIF · GIF · ICER · ILBM · MNG · PCX · PGF · TGA · TIFF · JPEG XR / HD Photo · EMF / WMF · WebP

Is it possible to create them all with Affinity software, or at least be able to load them into its software?

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

Best known or curiosities depend of the type of work we do, since I don't know some of your well known and some of the other ones are good old fellows and day to day work companions ;)

You can export to those formats (and open more than the ones listed to export):

2019-08-31_092158.png.a7dbf12855becb975737e86b86802ce4.png

Thanks, Wosven.

I see that I have to formulate the question differently.

What are the graphic formats (ISO/IEC/ITU-T, firs list) and (Curioisities, other list) that are not recognized by Affinity softwares?

6 cœurs, 12 processus - Windows 11 pro - 4K - DirectX 12 - Suite universelle Affinity (Affinity  Publisher, Affinity Designer, Affinity Photo).

Mais je vous le demande, peut-on imaginer une police sans sérifs ?

57 minutes ago, Pyanepsion said:

The best known

JPEG · JPEG 2000 · JPEG-LS · JBIG · JBIG2 · PNG · WBMP · HEIF

The curiosities

BMP · BPG · FLIF · GIF · ICER · ILBM · MNG · PCX · PGF · TGA · TIFF · JPEG XR / HD Photo · EMF / WMF · WebP

How did you choose what to include in each list? Based on the formats I had previously heard of, I would argue that BMP is better known than WBMP and JPEG XR is better known than JPEG-LS. I certainly don’t regard GIF and TIFF as “curiosities”.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

This page here :

https://affinity.serif.com/en-gb/photo/full-feature-list/

lists all the formats that Affinity Photo can open / handle. You'll need to scroll down to the Compatibility and Printing section as I'm afraid there is no ID set on that section so can't give a direct link to it.

Hope that helps a bit.

Best wishes,

Mark

1 hour ago, Wosven said:

You can export to those formats (and open more than the ones listed to export):

2019-08-31_092158.png.a7dbf12855becb975737e86b86802ce4.png

FWIW, the Mac versions cannot export to WMF, I assume because they rely on something built into the Windows OS to help with that: 

1777092837_Exportformats(Mac).jpg.4d55d77a1bf43eafcd20e5dfde9a21f3.jpg

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

3 hours ago, Pyanepsion said:

I see that I have to formulate the question differently.

What are the graphic formats (ISO/IEC/ITU-T, firs list) and (Curioisities, other list) that are not recognized by Affinity softwares?

Such a negative, exclusive* excluding list would hardly exist because the list of possible graphic formats can be endless when you consider that there are special output formats of special software used in special surroundings only. Especially in science, medicine included, there are quite a few formats which would belong to such a complete list, which would become more complex by respecting, besides codecs, all container formats, too.

Therefore the posters above showed you instead what you can import/export – instead of what you can not.

Edited by thomaso
*excluding

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

Usually, I was able to open usual files (not proprietary ones), and if it wasn't possible, one of my image viewer was able to convert it to another format.

I don't have time to search those formats for testing, but if you provide some samples I can try to open them.

One seldom but probably experienced format could be, for example, the image container format DICOM, which may have been obtained on a CD-ROM in a radiology practice.

DICOM® (Digital Imaging and Communications in Medicine) is the international standard to transmit, store, retrieve, print, process, and display medical imaging information. DICOM was born back in year 1993 by initiative of the American College of Radiology (ACR) and of the National Electrical Manufacturers Association (NEMA). It is often referred to as “DICOM 3.0”, as it is an evolution of the previous ACR-NEMA 2.0 standard.

42 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Such a negative, exclusive list would hardly exist because the list of possible graphic formats can be endless ...

GraphicConverter (a Mac only app) lists around 200 (!!!) graphic image formats it can import, with export support for about 80 of them.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

15 minutes ago, R C-R said:

GraphicConverter (a Mac only app) lists around 200 (!!!) graphic image formats it can import, with export support for about 80 of them.

Oh, obviously I wanted to say "excluding", not "exclusive". (Lack of my English skills) – Since the OP was asking for a list of formats which do NOT fit with Affinity I assume your post is just a complain about not having "200 (!!!)" in the compatibility list of possible formats in Affinity?

3 minutes ago, thomaso said:

Since the OP was asking for a list of formats which do NOT fit with Affinity I assume your post is just a complain about not having "200 (!!!)" in the compatibility list of possible formats in Affinity?

No, I was just using the GC list as an example of why (more or less like you said) it would not be practical to compile an exhaustive list of every format & every variation that Affinity either does or does not support for importing & exporting. The list would not even be the same for the Mac & Windows versions, & like with the GC list would need footnotes or comments to enumerate the details of partial support.

Affinity Photo